• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John B. Goodrich collection on Hakes

9 posts in this topic

Hakes recent auction had some nice ASM books that were identified as from the collection of John B. Goodrich. I did not see any details about this collection on Hakes website so I was wondering if anybody had some insight about this collection or Mr. Goodrich himself.

Edited by crimson dynamo

Someone mentioned in another thread that the collection was first talked about in Facebook where the son inherited his dad's collection and that he needed the funds right away to pay off some bills I guess.  He has no knowledge about comics so he had them consigned with Hakes.  

On 7/31/2023 at 8:58 PM, tth2 said:

It's always heartwarming to hear about children getting their parent's prized possessions and immediately selling them for cash.

From the kid:

He also unintentionally left my mom with some massive bills to pay from closing his business after his passing. This meant without having my mother sell her house and wiping out her life savings, my dad's collection was the only easy thing left to sell to pay for bills. I still have lots of comics and items left but nothing quite like what I'm selling.”

Sounds like he kept some for keepsake and used the rest to bail his mother out of of financial ruin. Which is what I’d want my kids to do when I pass in that situation. 

On 7/31/2023 at 11:58 PM, tth2 said:

It's always heartwarming to hear about children getting their parent's prized possessions and immediately selling them for cash.

In fairness, the seller's dad bought his collection on the secondhand market, and not as the original owner from the newsstands.  If it were me inheriting them, I'd have attachment to them as a family heirloom if it had been the latter, but would have no qualms about liquidating them as the former, unless my father explicitly instructed me not to do so. 

On 7/31/2023 at 11:58 PM, tth2 said:

Regardless of the actual truth of the matter one has to admit that this is truly some quality snark from an undisputed master of the trade

On 8/2/2023 at 4:46 AM, Sal said:

Regardless of the actual truth of the matter one has to admit that this is truly some quality snark from an undisputed master of the trade

I get it from being a regular reader of the comments section in the Washington Post's online Real Estate section.  I come for the real estate listings but stay for the snark.