• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moldy Smell
1 1

3 posts in this topic

So we had a catastrophic leak that trashed our house.  Comics got off very light but they had been in a soaking wet environment for maybe a week.

There were some that we unbagged that I'm calling lost.  In the same box were bagged/boarded comics that I've unbagged and set aside.  However a few of them have a moldy smell that competes with the normal beautiful smell of comics.

I'm trying to figure out what effect that has on the comic.  Should I expect the smell to dissipate with some airing or does the smell indicate long term damage?  If it doesn't go away how does it affect the value?  These are mostly Uncanny X-Men 150-180 in nice condition otherwise.  Not so valuable but I want to be accurate with insurance.

Thank you.

First, be sure the books are completely dry, if wet place the books in a cool/dry place and open the pages for a few hours.

For the odor you can place dryer sheets in each book moving them to different pages daily, also, baking soda absorbs smells/odors, place the books in a box/container with a lid along with a couple of open boxes of baking soda.