• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it Safe to Press Comics With Card Stock Covers?
2 2

14 posts in this topic

When you press comics there are techniques to handle issues like this... When you press comics you have something that is referred to as a "stack".  Things that are stacked above, in-between, and below a comic before they go into a press.  If you have someone do a "quick press" then they probably won't take the insert into account.

If you point it out, they can account for the insert.

Hope that helps.

On 8/8/2023 at 12:25 PM, redgar-red said:

When you press comics there are techniques to handle issues like this... When you press comics you have something that is referred to as a "stack".  Things that are stacked above, in-between, and below a comic before they go into a press.  If you have someone do a "quick press" then they probably won't take the insert into account.

If you point it out, they can account for the insert.

Hope that helps.

This is good information, but there is no insert in a Venom Lethal Protector 1. The OP was asking about pressing thick, embossed covers. Not comics with inserts.

On 8/8/2023 at 12:59 PM, Lightning55 said:

This is good information, but there is no insert in a Venom Lethal Protector 1. The OP was asking about pressing thick, embossed covers. Not comics with inserts.

Ah... should read more carefully.  You ought not (strongly ought not) press embossed books.

I've pressed them myself with very good results. As always, it depends on the type of defect. You have to use different methods than with a standard comic.

All the services that press professionally have no objections to processing them, carefully. 

On 8/8/2023 at 3:53 PM, redgar-red said:

Ah... should read more carefully.  You ought not (strongly ought not) press embossed books.

I press embossed comics all the time. Never had an issue. 

Regarding the card stock covers, you need to know what you are doing to get good results. 

On 8/9/2023 at 5:38 AM, joeypost said:

I press embossed comics all the time. Never had an issue. 

Regarding the card stock covers, you need to know what you are doing to get good results. 

Hey Joey -- sounds like you might be a level or two higher than me in pressing (and I'm not bad)... just to clarify -- you have pressed an embedded cover this one?  

batman embossed 129.jpg

On 8/5/2023 at 6:21 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Take a comic like Venom Lethal Protector number one with it's "hard" card stock cover. It seems like pressing could damage these comics but I could be wrong. What say you?

Flat "hard" card stock covers are pretty simple.  Most presses have controls to make adjustments to pressure.  The thicker the book, the less pressure needed.  I think that book is stapled -- it should be hard.  Thicker books with card stock, like Trade Paperbacks (TPBs) have glued bindings so you have to be sensitive to the temperature or they can oozed --> that's from my prior mistakes... learning opportunties.

On 8/9/2023 at 1:04 PM, redgar-red said:

Hey Joey -- sounds like you might be a level or two higher than me in pressing (and I'm not bad)... just to clarify -- you have pressed an embedded cover this one?  

batman embossed 129.jpg

Yes, books like these.