• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Submission - is this glue on the inside?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Hello all,

was very excited to get my first submission back.  I just opened my 15 book submission and every book has this very visible glue on the inside (I think it’s glue?).  I own about 30 slabs prior to this submission and have never seen it before.  Has anyone else seen it?  I don’t think it’s normal.

thanks, 

Matt

IMG_0292.thumb.jpeg.4f584d9cfdb051edec621988b64c9558.jpegIMG_0293.thumb.jpeg.ec5cafe41d1c143999cb48713b9f38c7.jpegIMG_0294.thumb.jpeg.f613f92a088d88211d4791ea484d7017.jpeg

On 8/6/2023 at 8:58 PM, AC Skywalker said:

Hello all,

was very excited to get my first submission back.  I just opened my 15 book submission and every book has this very visible glue on the inside (I think it’s glue?).  I own about 30 slabs prior to this submission and have never seen it before.  Has anyone else seen it?  I don’t think it’s normal.

thanks, 

Matt

IMG_0292.thumb.jpeg.4f584d9cfdb051edec621988b64c9558.jpegIMG_0293.thumb.jpeg.ec5cafe41d1c143999cb48713b9f38c7.jpegIMG_0294.thumb.jpeg.f613f92a088d88211d4791ea484d7017.jpeg

It's not "glue", it is the results of the Sonic weld I believe used to secure the plastics.

It's just sealed plastic, not glue. :cheers:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/6/2023 at 9:31 PM, AC Skywalker said:

Thanks for the response.  

I wonder now if it is a defect as I can't seem to find any other books with it, and every single one of mine has it.  It really takes away from the appearance of the slabs.

Some are and or have more than others, but I wouldn't worry about it. 

On 8/6/2023 at 9:40 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Some are and or have more than others, but I wouldn't worry about it. 

I take that back, I understand it may "appear unseemly," but would cgc consider it a mechanical error? I think almost certainly it's a no.

That said I understand but I could ignore it, but I don't know how common as I don't tend to notice  :shy:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/6/2023 at 10:42 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I take that back, I understand it may "appear unseemly," but would cgc consider it a mechanical error? I think almost certainly it's a no.

That said I understand but I could ignore it, but I don't know how common as I don't tend to notice  :shy:

Ya not sure if its a mechanical error, but it definitely seems off if no other books seem to have it.  I have also emailed it to customer service.

Just very disappointing to have it happen on my first submission, considering the grades were all excellent.

Yeah, it's pretty common.  Not sure why it's more visible on some than others, but it's normal. For reference, I went to ebay and searched "CGC" and literally the first one I looked at had it, on the lower third of the vertical seam on the right in this pic. Several of mine have it, I just don't have pics on-hand.  Not much to say, except focus on the book not the case (shrug)

s-l1600.jpg

On 8/7/2023 at 9:54 AM, wardevil0 said:

Yeah, it's pretty common.  Not sure why it's more visible on some than others, but it's normal. For reference, I went to ebay and searched "CGC" and literally the first one I looked at had it, on the lower third of the vertical seam on the right in this pic. Several of mine have it, I just don't have pics on-hand.  Not much to say, except focus on the book not the case (shrug)

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks for the response.  I was able to find some examples on ebay as well, but only a couple.  The strong majority of books I looked at didn't have it.  Literally all 15 of my books have it.  Without knowing the exact encapsulation process, it does seem odd for their to be such a visible difference in the outcome of the welding. 

On 8/7/2023 at 2:55 PM, Tons Of Style said:
On 8/7/2023 at 1:11 PM, AC Skywalker said:

Is that case split on the side?

Sorry I should've explained more. That's the mold injection site for the slab. 

"Mold injection?" It is Where the Sonic weld is on the sides that seal the top and bottom of the slab together that cause the "glue" like representation that the op asked about. That's my understanding. As it is top set on bottom and welded with a plastic sonic weld on the side. Now how it gets the seam down the side looking "glue" I'm not sure, unless there is an inner seal? Which is totally possible, given there is an inner well holding the comic separate from the outer welded holder. :)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/7/2023 at 4:32 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

"Mold injection?" It is Where the Sonic weld is on the sides that seal the top and bottom of the slab together that cause the "glue" like representation that the op asked about. That's my understanding. As it is top set on bottom and welded with a plastic sonic weld on the side. Now how it gets the seam down the side looking "glue" I'm not sure, unless there is an inner seal? Which is totally possible, given there is an inner well holding the comic separate from the outer welded holder. :)

I think he means this weird "dent" impression in the sides.  We occasionally see people asking whether this is a sign the case has been pried open or something. It's also something that has changed a little over time with different slab suppliers and designs.  People who have only seen certain slab styles are sometimes suspicious of the others.

Inkedimage.png.fbb4a752a57b0e909b138bfa5350a3c9_LI.jpg