• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who was the greatest overall Golden Age comic book artist?
4 4

Who was the greatest overall Golden Age comic book artist?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the greatest overall Golden Age comic book artist?

• Will Eisner
    • Alex Schomburg
    • Wallace Wood
    • Matt Baker
    • Basil Wolverton
    • Lou Fine
    • Reed Crandall
    • L. B. Cole
    • Harvey Kurtzman
    • Carl Barks
    • Will Elder
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/12/2023 at 05:00 AM

103 posts in this topic

On 8/11/2023 at 5:23 PM, Professor K said:

I have wondered why many comic artists who could create art on the level of the artists considered to be great artists (like Mr. Whistler) for example didn't do more one of a kind paintings over their lifetimes. Not talking about original art but like oil paintings such as Whistler's Mother. Maybe because the time it would take to create a painting wasn't worth the money they could sell it for at the time. 

Many comic books artists did paint, but they were often (not always) illustrative, which was not the fashion for modern "art".  In any event, modern "art" is a highly competitive business with very few artists living beyond a starvation diet.

Illustration art had been a good business (Rockwell and Parrish were both wealthy), but the evolution of photography and printing led to decreased usage of paintings. 

On 8/10/2023 at 5:52 PM, sfcityduck said:

Woah there Nelly!  Unless you are cutting off the GA in the 1940s, which I would not do, then your opinion on Bill is way out of line.  The evidence:

Mystic #18 (Atlas, 1953) CGC FN 6.0 White pages.... Golden Age | Lot #14394  | Heritage Auctions

I could go on.

Yes, by "Golden Age," I mean the old definition of 1933 to 1955. 

It's not that many covers by Everett prior to the Atlas horror lines. 

Amazing Man - 6 covers

Amazing Mystery Funnies - 7 covers

Heroic Comics - 12 covers

Nothing for Timely/Atlas until Sub-Mariner 32 (June 49)

Any others prior to 1950?

On 8/11/2023 at 3:28 PM, Sarg said:

Yes, by "Golden Age," I mean the old definition of 1933 to 1955. 

It's not that many covers by Everett prior to the Atlas horror lines. 

Amazing Man - 6 covers

Amazing Mystery Funnies - 7 covers

Heroic Comics - 12 covers

Nothing for Timely/Atlas until Sub-Mariner 32 (June 49)

Any others prior to 1950?

Timely used Schomburg.  You can't blame them. So he didn't get the chance to shine for them until the 1950s, but boy did he shine then!

As for his non-Timely early GA work, I think most are pretty amazing for their time. A couple examples:

1938:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Amazing Mystery Funnies #3 (#4) Larson Pedigree (Centaur, 1938) CGC VG/FN 5.0 Off-white pages....

1939:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Science Fiction, Amazing Mystery Funnies V2#6 (Centaur, 1939) CGC VF+ 8.5 Cream to off-white pages....

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Amazing Mystery Funnies V2#5 (Centaur, 1939) CGC VF+ 8.5 Cream to off-white pages....

1940:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Heroic Comics #2 (Eastern Color, 1940) Condition: FN/VF. Bill Everett cover. Everett and Tarpe Mills art. Two Siamese pages,...