• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newsstand vs Subscription vs World Comics
1 1

5 posts in this topic

As a newbie I have been collecting Sam Keith's The Maxx. Both in the newsstand and the subscription versions and have come across some of the World Comics, Spain issues. Is there any information on these Spanish books? Collectivity? And also, when it comes to grading why are newsstand and subscriptions only recognized as different in only 2-3 issues? Would love to have a complete graded set of each but there not recognized.  Would love to hear some info and advice 

still not one thousand percent sure what the question(s) is/are.  Maybe lay the questions out separately like a list.  Very generally, pictures help when asking a question.  Its ok to ask for help, ok to be new, but try to make it easier for people to help you.

BUT this might answer one of the questions:  CGC does currently put "newsstand" on CGC labels in some cases, generally in newer comics (I don't think for 70's or early 80's, but someone can correct me).  Either way, this has not always been a policy, and is fairly recent, last 5-10 years.  So it might be perfectly possible to have a slabbed newsstand copy that does not say "newsstand" specifically on the label, as it was submitted before the new policy.  So I'm sure there are other newsstand slabbed copies out there, but it's impossible to know how many because they weren't tracking or labeling them as "newsstand" at the time those comics were slabbed.  So any you see on the census were slabbed (or re-slabbed) after the CGC newsstand policy change.

As for Spanish stuff, there's a "foreign" thread in the Comics General subforum, you can dig around there and see if you come up with anything.  Generally foreign stuff is hard to gauge as it quite rare, especially in high grade.  But demand is also quite low relatively in most cases.  So if you're buying or selling, pricing is really a matter of luck.

Edited by revat

On 8/10/2023 at 6:41 PM, Flufy12345 said:

As for world issues how would this issue be labeled if graded

Screenshot_20230810-123703-517.png

Hello Flufy :)

One good general source for comic info is the GCD but that doesn't seem to have any cover images at present for the Spanish reprints:

https://www.comics.org/issue/1432532/

The Spanish Maxx books seem to follow the same cover / numbering as the US original copies. Here's 1-3 which I found by Googling:

305395939_2345484268940215_637153239644204453_n.thumb.jpg.4feef8fc2a696d252a1f043ce4f545c8.jpg

You could buy them here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155587684409

CGC's labelling criteria for what they call 'international comics' can be found here:

https://www.cgccomics.com/international-comics/

Your book should fall under the 'Foreign Editions' category. 

Thank you Both! Trying to collect all of recognized issues and knowing World Comics is *somewhat* different it is at least recognized by CGC. Mainly wanted to make sure that it was #1 Authentic versions and #2 worth having to grade to complete collection. Like I said I'm a noob but want to do things right.