• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

October Heritage International Art Auction
3 3

88 posts in this topic

On 8/18/2023 at 12:21 PM, drdonaldblake1 said:

Already being discussed in the Heritage thread. :gossip:

is this the HA auction where they are selling the interiors to possibly the most racist Don Rosa Uncle Scrooge art produced by Disney in the modern era? (mid-90's) Disney has banned the comic from ever being reprinted, and HA has this almost passive-aggressive tone in their description of the pages chiding this decision because it's in the middle of a story arc. This, coupled with their association with Robert Wayne Dennis who was sentenced for 3 years for assaulting an officer on Jan. 6th has made me reluctant to ever consign with them. You know, at least make a half-assed effort to warn viewers. If it had a nipple on it you'd have to have an account, and present yourself as an adult to view the image, but you can show egregiously offensive cartoon depictions of African-American's and that's perfectly alright?  I guess they will print a catalog of them too. So in a way, the story has gotten reprinted. (minus word balloons) 

Edited by MyNameIsLegion

On 8/20/2023 at 3:08 PM, MyNameIsLegion said:

is this the HA auction where they are selling the interiors to possibly the most racist Don Rosa Uncle Scrooge art produced by Disney in the modern era? (mid-90's) Disney has banned the comic from ever being reprinted, and HA has this almost passive-aggressive tone in their description of the pages chiding this decision because it's in the middle of a story arc. This, coupled with their association with Robert Wayne Dennis who was sentenced for 3 years for assaulting an officer on Jan. 6th has made me reluctant to ever consign with them. You know, at least make a half-assed effort to warn viewers. If it had a nipple on it you'd have to have an account, and present yourself as an adult to view the image, but you can show egregiously offensive cartoon depictions of African-American's and that's perfectly alright?  I guess they will print a catalog of them too. So in a way, the story has gotten reprinted. (minus word balloons) 

Whoa! Had no idea this was in this auction?

What is heritages association with Robert Wayne Dennis?

On 8/20/2023 at 3:44 PM, drdonaldblake1 said:

Whoa! Had no idea this was in this auction?

What is heritages association with Robert Wayne Dennis?

RWD I think worked for Lewis Wayne Galleries, which I think was a side thing of Halperin's slough off dreck he won at HA? (when the house bets with house money, win or lose, you win) His proximity to DFW made him the logical conservator for HA or Halperin. I know he was FB friends with other HA reps, because sometimes they'd even suggest he tone down some of his online screeds.  Their affiliation with RWD may have been completely professional and had no bearing on their willingness to accept the racist Scrooge art for consignment, but someone apparently thought it was ok. I don't know if the fact that this is the European auction has anything to do with it. I don't see how really. Lot's of adult themed things are more likely to be in the Euro auction, and that's fine, just as it's fine to show all sort of underground art. But it usually comes with a little more consideration of not making the images quite so readily visible. Whatever, it's just my opinion, but my opinion is what dictates where and with whom I do business. I am curious how Disney lawyers might look at it. HA may be the big dawg of their niche auction world, but if Disney wanted that stuff gone. It would be gone. Even if it meant pulling the auction and they paid them for it. They may not be aware of it yet.

On 8/19/2023 at 10:08 PM, MyNameIsLegion said:

Wow, to put it very politely I am surprised that was published in 1995. Heritage also has it listed as a featured auction which is, uh, a choice. Not exactly what I'd expect to see beside a pivotal Dave Gibbons page from Watchmen or pages from Jack Kirby, but there it is...

On 8/21/2023 at 9:13 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

RWD I think worked for Lewis Wayne Galleries, which I think was a side thing of Halperin's slough off dreck he won at HA? (when the house bets with house money, win or lose, you win) His proximity to DFW made him the logical conservator for HA or Halperin. I know he was FB friends with other HA reps, because sometimes they'd even suggest he tone down some of his online screeds.  Their affiliation with RWD may have been completely professional and had no bearing on their willingness to accept the racist Scrooge art for consignment, but someone apparently thought it was ok. I don't know if the fact that this is the European auction has anything to do with it. I don't see how really. Lot's of adult themed things are more likely to be in the Euro auction, and that's fine, just as it's fine to show all sort of underground art. But it usually comes with a little more consideration of not making the images quite so readily visible. Whatever, it's just my opinion, but my opinion is what dictates where and with whom I do business. I am curious how Disney lawyers might look at it. HA may be the big dawg of their niche auction world, but if Disney wanted that stuff gone. It would be gone. Even if it meant pulling the auction and they paid them for it. They may not be aware of it yet.

Watch this space......if Disney becomes aware of this auction they may flex their muscle.....

On 8/21/2023 at 9:05 PM, drdonaldblake1 said:

Watch this space......if Disney becomes aware of this auction they may flex their muscle.....

I'm sure the heritage legal team would have ok'd the listing....from the auction description heritage is well aware of the controversial situation 

On 8/20/2023 at 7:13 PM, MyNameIsLegion said:

RWD I think worked for Lewis Wayne Galleries, which I think was a side thing of Halperin's slough off dreck he won at HA? (when the house bets with house money, win or lose, you win) His proximity to DFW made him the logical conservator for HA or Halperin. I know he was FB friends with other HA reps, because sometimes they'd even suggest he tone down some of his online screeds.  Their affiliation with RWD may have been completely professional and had no bearing on their willingness to accept the racist Scrooge art for consignment, but someone apparently thought it was ok. I don't know if the fact that this is the European auction has anything to do with it.

Wild accusations and inferences without any basis in fact belong on Reddit

On 8/21/2023 at 9:50 AM, KirbyCollector said:

Wild accusations and inferences without any basis in fact belong on Reddit

Again, I haven’t read the story in a long while, but the very idea of “racist Scrooge art” kinda cracks me up.      It’s a talking duck that wears no pants.      I guess we should outlaw every story he ever appeared in due to the indecent  exposure. 

On 8/21/2023 at 9:06 AM, Bronty said:

Again, I haven’t read the story in a long while, but the very idea of “racist Scrooge art” kinda cracks me up.      It’s a talking duck that wears no pants.      I guess we should outlaw every story he ever appeared in due to the indecent  exposure. 

that of course is not true- this issue has depictions of African American human villagers, witch doctors, and the aforementioned zombie. there's also a flashback of Scrooge leading villagers to smash up a village of "savages" There's also "black ducks, and I don't mean Daffy Duck, where they are depicted to be caricatures of black features. I found the issue in a run of Uncle Scrooge we had in a 100K collection, and it's worse than I thought.  There's a reason Disney banned this issue forever. You'd think this was something out of the 1950's.

Edited by MyNameIsLegion

On 8/21/2023 at 10:48 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

that of course is not true- this issue has depictions of African American human villagers, witch doctors, and the aforementioned zombie. there's also a flashback of Scrooge leading villagers to smash up a village of "savages" There's also "black ducks, and I don't mean Daffy Duck, where they are depicted to be caricatures of black features. I found the issue in a run of Uncle Scrooge we had in a 100K collection, and it's worse than I thought.  There's a reason Disney banned this issue forever. You'd think this was something out of the 1950's.

A sequel to a 1950s story reads like a 1950s story!   hmmmmmmmm hm

I imagine that was exactly the point.

Edited by Bronty

On 8/21/2023 at 11:10 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

you were saying?

image.png.1f5011a7c9e816ea90c5969eac6e4de1.png

Cool, 1 point. Now corroborate the rest... ah, but you can't, or you would have done so. 

BTW, what Disney -- or any corporation -- bans is meaningless. I'm still waiting to understand how a cartoon rabbit, bear, fox and a whole bunch of singing frogs on a water ride made me and my whole family racist. OH WAIT -- it didn't! Yet Splash Mountain is no more.

On 8/21/2023 at 10:13 AM, Bronty said:

A sequel to a 1950s story reads like a 1950s story!   hmmmmmmmm hm

I imagine that was exactly the point.

Le't us know when you are done editing your comment- we are up to 3 so far. Trying to perfect the perfect snarky tone? I kinda prefer version 1, but YMMV. You might consider ChatGPT.:gossip:

On 8/21/2023 at 12:54 PM, MyNameIsLegion said:

Le't us know when you are done editing your comment- we are up to 3 so far. Trying to perfect the perfect snarky tone? I kinda prefer version 1, but YMMV. You might consider ChatGPT.:gossip:

OK - let us know when you are done with your outrage over a 1995 duck story.