• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When did the UPC codes start? For older comics (1960s-1970s) is there only 1 version?
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Hi All-

I have seen older comics that do not have a UPC code on them. I know now the newsstand is UPC code vs a spiderman face to indicate the differences. But with older comics, if htere is no UPC code on them- is there other ways to differentiate versions?

On 8/20/2023 at 12:27 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Have a read of this thread, km.....

I read that thread. My real question is:

With older comics, if there is no UPC code on them- is there other ways to differentiate versions? Is there only 1 version of those? Meaning there is no "newsstand" or "direct" versions?

On 8/20/2023 at 8:36 PM, kmfbaloo said:

With older comics, if there is no UPC code on them- is there other ways to differentiate versions? Is there only 1 version of those? Meaning there is no "newsstand" or "direct" versions?

I'm sure @valiantman will share a video with you that explains it all when he next logs on. 

On 8/20/2023 at 2:24 PM, kmfbaloo said:

Hi All-

I have seen older comics that do not have a UPC code on them. I know now the newsstand is UPC code vs a spiderman face to indicate the differences. But with older comics, if htere is no UPC code on them- is there other ways to differentiate versions?

@Get Marwood & I already posted a video about it, but what age of comics are we talking about?

Before 1976, I believe only a Whitman logo could identify a direct edition (non-returnable) comic book. All other comics would have been newsstand, with or without a barcode. The is no need to identify "newsstand" on books that only had one method of distribution (only one edition/version).

Edited by valiantman

On 8/20/2023 at 2:36 PM, kmfbaloo said:

The direct market began in the early 1970s, but comics still had only one version until the mid-late 1970s. The defacement of comics by barcodes began in the mid-70s.

On 8/20/2023 at 2:59 PM, valiantman said:

@Get Marwood & I already posted a video about it, but what age of comics are we talking about?

Before 1976, I believe only a Whitman logo could identify a direct edition (non-returnable) comic book. All other comics would have been newsstand, with or without a barcode. The is no need to identify "newsstand" on books that only had one method of distribution (only one edition/version).

Thanks for the reply!

On 8/20/2023 at 3:24 PM, Lazyboy said:

The direct market began in the early 1970s, but comics still had only one version until the mid-late 1970s. The defacement of comics by barcodes began in the mid-70s.

Thanks for the reply!

On 8/20/2023 at 3:24 PM, Lazyboy said:

There were pence copies, and some Marvel Annuals have blank pages because of the lack of advertising in Canadian versions, but the vast majority of books had only one version prior to the direct market.

On 8/20/2023 at 4:47 PM, shadroch said:

There were pence copies, and some Marvel Annuals have blank pages because of the lack of advertising in Canadian versions, but the vast majority of books had only one version prior to the direct market.

Thanks for your reply!