• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The last time
1 1

8 posts in this topic

On 8/20/2023 at 6:25 PM, bc said:

I'm only on my second beer, so not sure if I can ramble as eloquently as you yet.

I was buying comics at the local convenient store in the early '70's - they had just increased from 20 to 25 cents each. One day, behind all the new books were bagged 3 packs of 12 cent books that had a sticker price of fifty cents. They looked brand new to this young collector. Since I had a limited weekly allowance, I snatched all I could but hid the rest behind the "Women's Day" or some such magazines away from the comics rack hoping they'd be there next week or whenever I could scrape up some cash.

These were the oldest books I had ever seen and made a ceremony about reading them. There were early Avengers, X-Men, ASM, pretty much a couple of every Marvel title.

A few days later, I found a stash of recyclable glass bottles which netted me almost 2 bucks. I biked back to the convenient store as fast as the Huffy would go and was shocked when the books were still tucked away behind the women's magazines.

I felt like I had just pulled off the best heist in the world, like a James Bond super criminal.

After moving them around a few weeks more behind other periodicals, I managed to buy all they had.

-bc

That is epic. I actually did a similar tactic a couple times as well in a grocery store and department store but completely forgot until you mentioned this :cheers:

(thumbsu

On 8/20/2023 at 7:20 PM, Gaard said:

I kinda had the exact same experience ... with slight variations.. I found my dad's Playboys and hid them under my socks.

Why hide them? I just put them back in the stack in the garage.

-bc

On 8/20/2023 at 10:31 PM, factory sealed said:

Or maybe it was a song on the radio you absolutely adored that was on heavy rotation played on an hourly basis that you thought would never go away

I have a lot of comic book memories from my teenage years in the 70s that I associate with songs played regularly on commercial radio.

Now, the vast majority of them would be considered embarrassing yacht rock. So, that’s all I’m saying.

in 4th grade i bought a 20 cent Sub Mariner and Spider-man off the spinner rack at my local store and when i got home to read them i realized i had already read the Sub Mariner at my cousins house ! i was so bummed out..

but i went back to the store and on the sly i put the Sub Mariner back on the rack and took another comic... can't believe i didn't get busted but i got away with it .. 

it helped that the spinner rack was right next to the entrance door

later that year at the same store i got busted for stealing a Payday candy bar... i had to go sweep the store parking lot every day for a week plus pretty sure i got a whippin from my mom

On 8/20/2023 at 6:46 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I have a lot of comic book memories from my teenage years in the 70s that I associate with songs played regularly on commercial radio.

me too... in 1975 in 8th grade when i spent a lot of time riding my bike to my LCS it always seemed like the song "Miracles" by Jefferson Starship was playing

bought me a ton of Marvel Tales and Marvels Greatest comics so i could read early marvel Spidey and FF back issues, still have them but unfortunately they aren't worth squat