• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AI Generated art cannot be registered for copyrights

9 posts in this topic

On 8/20/2023 at 7:05 PM, MAR1979 said:

Not hard to fix the next time, assuming this withstands scrutiny by an appellate court. On the next application, make sure a human being controls the input parameters, and engages in a review, modification and editing of the final product so that only the “idea” of the plot is traceable to AI. Ideas are not subject to copyright.

It's simply impossible to do this. Traditionally, copyright belongs to the individual or group of individuals who created the work. Artificial intelligence, lacking personality and rights, cannot be recognized as an author in the legal sense. Artificial intelligence is now developing rapidly, we will see further. I just recently read about the ai applicant tracking system, and found a case study for this. I think in the near future some countries will take action on this issue. No legs at the moment, hardly.

Edited by AnnSteverson

On 3/20/2024 at 12:00 PM, AnnSteverson said:

Artificial intelligence, lacking personality and rights, cannot be recognized as an author in the legal sense.

We are going to see the first Artificial General Intelligence (AGI) in under two years. Humans will interact with it, make friends with it and even fall in love with it. If an AGI serving as your "companion" (see the film Her) writes you something nice, say a poem or even a short story, who is the author? What happens when your AGI writes a script which wins an Oscar? I predict copyright laws will change accordingly.

Much like the fantasy conversation about nature/nurture with Superman (i.e., what if Superman's rocket had landed in Russia and he grew up there), I just hope the first AGI is created here. We aren't perfect, but at least we aren't Russia or China.

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 3/20/2024 at 10:00 AM, AnnSteverson said:

It's simply impossible to do this. Traditionally, copyright belongs to the individual or group of individuals who created the work. Artificial intelligence, lacking personality and rights, cannot be recognized as an author in the legal sense.

Agreed. I'm sure they will figure out a workaround, but this is the basic gist of the concept of copyrighting something.

On 3/20/2024 at 5:25 PM, KirbyCollector said:

We are going to see the first Artificial General Intelligence (AGI) in under two years. Humans will interact with it, make friends with it and even fall in love with it. If an AGI serving as your "companion" (see the film Her) writes you something nice, say a poem or even a short story, who is the author? What happens when your AGI writes a script which wins an Oscar? I predict copyright laws will change accordingly.

Much like the fantasy conversation about nature/nurture with Superman (i.e., what if Superman's rocket had landed in Russia and he grew up there), I just hope the first AGI is created here. We aren't perfect, but at least we aren't Russia or China.

Quantum computing, AI, virtual reality and advanced robotics, and fusion reactors are going to transform society in the next 501-00 years into Star Trek -- minus the Warp engines.  

Edited by PhilipB2k17

On 3/20/2024 at 12:00 PM, AnnSteverson said:

It's simply impossible to do this. Traditionally, copyright belongs to the individual or group of individuals who created the work. Artificial intelligence, lacking personality and rights, cannot be recognized as an author in the legal sense.

No, it can’t. But if AI is used as a draft and reworked by a human, then it should qualify. It can’t just be a sign-off. 

Posted (edited)
On 3/22/2024 at 2:22 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

Quantum computing, AI, virtual reality and advanced robotics, and fusion reactors are going to transform society in the next 501-00 years into Star Trek -- minus the Warp engines.  

While I like your thought (Mr Fusion anyone :) ), it's more likley our species does not survive in any quantity. Einstein's quip about sticks and stones applies

P.S. While the long-time joke is "quantum computing is always 10 years away" that won't last forever.

Edited by MAR1979

On 3/20/2024 at 2:25 PM, KirbyCollector said:

We are going to see the first Artificial General Intelligence (AGI) in under two years.

Don't hold your breath.