• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there any point?

13 posts in this topic

Is there any point in buying Modern slabbed books (MINOR KEYES) in grades between 9.0 to 9.6, if you can get them for slightly less than or equal to the cost of slabbing?

If you are building a 9.0, 9.2, 9.4, or a 9.6 set for the title, artist, x-over event... confused-smiley-013.gif

Is there any point in buying Modern slabbed books (MINOR KEYES) in grades between 9.0 to 9.6, if you can get them for slightly less than or equal to the cost of slabbing?

If you want to buy them 'cause you love them...Yes!

If you want them for some sort of investment/value/retirement fund....NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!

Buying less than a 9.6 for a Modern is not worth it.

There are probably rare exceptions. One might be the Ultimate Spider-man #1 White Variant. A 9.4 would probably sell pretty well. Then again, the raw version might too. It's more of the rarity and white cover that makes it worthwhile to grade in that range. 9.0 would be far too low though.

Copper Age stuff is a bit different (though pretty close). I'd take a ton of 9.6 books from the Copper Age. Probably won't realize amazing prices but would at least break even. The paper quality was moderate on some of them, so a 9.6 grade with white pages would sell well.

Pat

Buying less than a 9.6 for a Modern is not worth it.

There are probably rare exceptions. One might be the Ultimate Spider-man #1 White Variant. A 9.4 would probably sell pretty well. Then again, the raw version might too. It's more of the rarity and white cover that makes it worthwhile to grade in that range. 9.0 would be far too low though.

Copper Age stuff is a bit different (though pretty close). I'd take a ton of 9.6 books from the Copper Age. Probably won't realize amazing prices but would at least break even. The paper quality was moderate on some of them, so a 9.6 grade with white pages would sell well.

Pat

I agree with you ONLY if youre looking for investment books. No point in going any lower than 9.6. I wouldnt go any less than a 9.2 if you just want a nice cheap book to add to your collection or run.

Howard Stern had a funny item a few days ago. Gary was talking about buying Hanna Barbera signed art reproductions as investments.

Stern asked him if he wanted to buy some magic beans.

Stern then said he had a piece of clay for sale which once had been Gumby.

They discussed the honeymooner episode where Ralph brought home a "popsicle stick pagoda" which had once been owned by the Emporer of China.

I wouldn't be surprised if the whole comics market took a downturn. And as for investment in more recent books, I really can't see it working out. I could go on for pages and pages and I know none of us can predict the future. Still, I can't see getting a recent book slabbed. Why not carefully put it aside for a few years and if interest in it increases dramatically, then slab it?

But i'm not slabbing the new modern books. The question is would you BUY a MODERN MINOR KEY that was graded 9.4 for less than the cost of slabbing it.

Example: Overstreet value is $10 for 9.2

Would you buy a slabbed 9.4 for $22?

Assuming it was a book you wanted but not desperately needed. I could probably buy it unslabbed for $3 or $4 bucks, but then would have to pay for getting it slabbed.

Opinions??? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

But i'm not slabbing the new modern books. The question is would you BUY a MODERN MINOR KEY that was graded 9.4 for less than the cost of slabbing it.

Example: Overstreet value is $10 for 9.2

Would you buy a slabbed 9.4 for $22?

Assuming it was a book you wanted but not desperately needed. I could probably buy it unslabbed for $3 or $4 bucks, but then would have to pay for getting it slabbed.

Opinions??? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Why would you want to pay to get it slabbed? confused-smiley-013.gif

What would be the point of getting something like this slabbed? confused-smiley-013.gif

In your example, if you could buy the CGC 9.4 around NM- Guide ($10-$12), great...and you definitely will be able to....there will be thousands out there.

Otherwise, there is absolutely no point whatsoever in wasting your money.