• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Random Reading Room
1 1

11 posts in this topic

To encourage myself to catch up on reading my books, I am starting up this thread and encourage others to join in anytime with books from their own collection.

You can use your own process but mine will be done randomly, meaning to determine what I am to read, I will randomly have a number selected using a generator and then go to said bin in my collection and find a book I have not read! I will provide some brief thoughts on what I’ve read, perhaps a recommendation and maybe even a few pics of some of the best moments. 

So let’s get started!

First up from bin 9….I choose Devil Dinosaur 1 and 2! I recently acquired this run and have yet to read it. I decided to grab the first two issues since I assume there will be a cliffhanger ending after issue 1.

IMG_8569.thumb.jpeg.be13de948f32d14e9c53a434b5cbb852.jpeg

Overall, I enjoyed both issues. I was intrigued to see where this story could go as I assume you can only have Devil fight prehistoric creatures so often before it gets repetitive. Issue 1 had a cliffhanger ending (knew it!) and issue 2 resolved the initial intro story nicely. It was also neat to read Kirby’s words in the first letters pages explaining why he was writing such a series and the letters page in issue 2 even encourages the readers to submit ideas! IMG_8570.thumb.jpeg.de3b9786e90aa93b471c3a283f3831f1.jpegIMG_8571.thumb.jpeg.1d1e02ea64514d5e6fd94caca6007537.jpeg

Overall, a fine story with classic Kirby art (including a couple nice splash pages!). And its intriguing enough to the point where I will probably keep going and chime in on the future issues here as well!

Today it was bin 4! And so I grabbed this 

IMG_8611.thumb.jpeg.6e79c599502aa93b78716af31615f250.jpeg

It’s funny because this series never appealed to me yet I’ve kept this issue in the collection forever just because. I also have ASM 365 (as that run is my jam) but it’s been a while since I’ve perused that.

Anyways not a terrible story here. I do love the costume and it was entertaining enough to make me consider reading a few more issues. I suspect the challenge with this series is introducing villains that can compete with Spideys umm prehistoric rogues gallery? Hence why they eventually introduce some Venom and Green Goblin if I recall (neither of which I recall likening visually when Ive seen them)

Oh and this wacky contest intrigued me….wonder who entered and won back in the day. I’m intrigued what the print, signed plate and stand up looked like!IMG_8613.thumb.jpeg.eee4dee1eb39975589a014a2d69c840a.jpeg

On 8/21/2023 at 2:59 AM, comicginger1789 said:

First up from bin 9….I choose Devil Dinosaur 1 and 2! I recently acquired this run and have yet to read it. I decided to grab the first two issues since I assume there will be a cliffhanger ending after issue 1.

IMG_8569.thumb.jpeg.be13de948f32d14e9c53a434b5cbb852.jpeg

Overall, I enjoyed both issues. I was intrigued to see where this story could go as I assume you can only have Devil fight prehistoric creatures so often before it gets repetitive. Issue 1 had a cliffhanger ending (knew it!) and issue 2 resolved the initial intro story nicely. It was also neat to read Kirby’s words in the first letters pages explaining why he was writing such a series and the letters page in issue 2 even encourages the readers to submit ideas! IMG_8570.thumb.jpeg.de3b9786e90aa93b471c3a283f3831f1.jpegIMG_8571.thumb.jpeg.1d1e02ea64514d5e6fd94caca6007537.jpeg

Overall, a fine story with classic Kirby art (including a couple nice splash pages!). And it’s intriguing enough to the point where I will probably keep going and chime in on the future issues here as well!

Great choice to start with.

Classic, underrated Kirby, and well deserving of the Omnibus edition it received.

It gets quite inventive at times. And a bit mental.

On 8/25/2023 at 7:33 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Great choice to start with.

Classic, underrated Kirby, and well deserving of the Omnibus edition it received.

It gets quite inventive at times. And a bit mental.

I look forward to the remaining issues then! 

On 8/21/2023 at 3:52 AM, comicginger1789 said:

To encourage myself to catch up on reading my books, I am starting up this thread and encourage others to join in anytime with books from their own collection.

You can use your own process but mine will be done randomly, meaning to determine what I am to read, I will randomly have a number selected using a generator and then go to said bin in my collection and find a book I have not read! I will provide some brief thoughts on what I’ve read, perhaps a recommendation and maybe even a few pics of some of the best moments. 

So let’s get started!

I love this idea, im personally the kind of guy who just take a random book in my collection and read them, its more funny that to read just by a wishlist or something in my opinion. but here is even better with the usage of a generator. Can you show and explain more details about how you work with this? 

On 8/26/2023 at 12:55 PM, BA773 said:

I love this idea, im personally the kind of guy who just take a random book in my collection and read them, its more funny that to read just by a wishlist or something in my opinion. but here is even better with the usage of a generator. Can you show and explain more details about how you work with this? 

Not much to add….just a google random generator. My bins are “labelled” or ordered 1-26 and I’ll just got to the bin and flip until there one I haven’t read :) or one that grabs my interest 

Today we got…bin 24. And I picked this

Demonic Toys #1 from Eternity Comics

IMG_8679.thumb.jpeg.ed1f2923c6ceb7c1b6fb439f142b88e7.jpeg

I mean you know it’s gonna be half decent when a man gets murdered by a Jack-in-the-box within the first couple pages.

IMG_8680.thumb.jpeg.b1d5f9921a8c5a6a9fd80d18d68e8f50.jpeg

Intriguing story here. I don’t want to spoil it but it’s pretty fast paced and leaves you wondering what’s gonna happen next. There’s two other murders and a demonic child that crawls into the body of his victim so….yeah if you like horror it’s a good read. The story kind of just ends on a cliffhanger with no real “tune in next issue” blather…it’s just over. But I have a couple more issues so like Devil Dinosaur, I can see myself revisiting the following issues 

On 9/2/2023 at 4:35 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Today we got…bin 24. And I picked this

Demonic Toys #1 from Eternity Comics

IMG_8679.thumb.jpeg.ed1f2923c6ceb7c1b6fb439f142b88e7.jpeg

I mean you know it’s gonna be half decent when a man gets murdered by a Jack-in-the-box within the first couple pages.

IMG_8680.thumb.jpeg.b1d5f9921a8c5a6a9fd80d18d68e8f50.jpeg

Intriguing story here. I don’t want to spoil it but it’s pretty fast paced and leaves you wondering what’s gonna happen next. There’s two other murders and a demonic child that crawls into the body of his victim so….yeah if you like horror it’s a good read. The story kind of just ends on a cliffhanger with no real “tune in next issue” blather…it’s just over. But I have a couple more issues so like Devil Dinosaur, I can see myself revisiting the following issues 

Scarry :flamed: