• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America #74 - Highest CGC grade up on ebay - Red Skull - Very Rare

13 posts in this topic

Very pretty - but it's the Canadian Edition - which I didn't see mentioned when I skimmed the description - maybe I missed it - though I can't imagine any serious bidder overlooking that fact.

Very pretty - but it's the Canadian Edition - which I didn't see mentioned when I skimmed the description - maybe I missed it - though I can't imagine any serious bidder overlooking that fact.

I wrote an entire paragraph about that. Extremely Rare, as it the Captain America Annual, also a Canadian edition.

I had my choice between this book and the US issue VF-.

This one was a full grade and a half higher visually. I went for the nicer copy and paid more for it.

gossip.gif it's on the CGC label

I have had several inquiries about the possibility of Time payments for this book, since it is being offered on ebay. The answer is yes. Since this is a reserved auction, I will accept time payments, as explained on my website. When you get to my Home page, click on the ARTICLES button at the top. This will take you to my articles page. Scroll down to the Time Payment article and read it through.

I understand this is an expensive book and not everyone has the immediate cash at the right time.

Good luck!

Mark

Mark what a gorgeous book, if I had the cash I scoop it up in a second. Is this the only known copy to exist or just the only copy in the CGC census.

Silver

IIRC, a low grade copy on ebay (in the 2.0 to 3.0 range) a couple of years ago that sold for the same money a U.S. version would sell for (somewhere around 1K).

Mark what a gorgeous book, if I had the cash I scoop it up in a second. Is this the only known copy to exist or just the only copy in the CGC census.

I had heard that there was a low grade unslabbed copy but I have never talked to the owner. It was a situation where - a guy knew a guy who had one once. My thoughts are that there may be one out there but time will tell. As for mid grade or high grade slabbed? No. Nothing else has been submitted.

As for it being a Canadian distributed copy, I remember when collectors finnaly realized that all of the Captain America Annuals know to exist were Canadian distributions. None were printed in the USA. How did that affect price? It didn't, they are still highly prized by Timely collectors and very valuable.

Mark

There was definetly a lower grade copy on ebay a few years back.

How many different Timely superhero books were published as Canadian editions by Superior? I know another board member posted a Canadian Subby #32. DId this just start in 1949? Logically they would all be far scarcer than their US counterparts - but in general I would think they would have less collector interest as well. The Canadian Annuals are a different animal - they were highly prized before the concensus view was that they were only distributed in Canada - and there are no US counterparts for value comparison. It is their unusual quality which appeals to collectors not normally interested in Canadian editions - much like the retitled Weird SuspenStories Canadian ECs - which sell for far more than they would had they kept the Crime SuspenStories title.