• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading Explanation
3 3

13 posts in this topic

I have only submitted three books in my life but I got a Daredevil issue graded since I had it signed by Joe Q and it came back as a 5.5

This was obviously pretty low and I didn't understand why but also mainly did it for the auto so no big deal. Then I decided today to look up WHY it was graded a 5.5 and I am very confused. The grader notes say...

"stain full right of front cover
stain left center of back cover
light bends to cover"

There is no stain on the back and here are two photos of the front cover. Am I missing something? I must be because FULL RIGHT OF FRONT COVER does not show a stain at all to me. The Joe Q auto is actually really tough to see anyhow as well. It is to the lower left of DD's baton in gold sharpie to the left of his torso. Again, maybe I am misunderstanding the intent of the description. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated in understanding this. Thanks!

IMG-4317.thumb.jpg.ba31f303d033a20c34d30f138b3a8871.jpgIMG-4316.thumb.jpg.dece0227ba8d278fda2d9cd0a4f557bc.jpgIMG-4318.thumb.jpg.12bcd8c2b029cc9ac103d0a764284e9c.jpg

Maybe they meant fading?

It's hard to pick that up in photos, especially through a case and inner capsule. I'd suggest you get more opinions from those who can see it in person, like at your local comic store or a local show.

If everyone agrees that they can't see it, you could bring it up to CGC customer service. They have a review process, but if no change, you're out shipping both ways.

On 8/26/2023 at 7:53 PM, Sauce Dog said:

It is hard for anyone to see a stain on that front cover with those images, could you take some of the back cover where it might be easier to spot the stain?

I was trying to avoid the massive reflection these holders give off but I’ll try to take a more head on shot. 

On 8/27/2023 at 10:41 AM, Gaard said:

@PeterTedone Did you happen to look at the inside cover(s) before submitting?

I did and it was fine so I’m rather confused. Maybe I’ll just bring it to the next show CGC is at locally and have them crack it open to double check that though. The grade is so low I’m not overly concerned with it at this point. I got it signed because I wanted it for myself and not resell. 

I hate dilemmas like this. You want to know where this specific problem is, to see it with your own eyes, be in agreement. But you can't, without spending a lot more money to have CGC crack it out, and then regrade or reholder. And you're right, you'd have to do it at a show to have the best and maybe only chance to see it for yourself. Mostly due to it being signed, to keep the authentication. 

It seems odd that a stain that occupies the "full right of front cover" would be hard to see. Unless it is inside, which would be irresponsible not to specify. Very frustrating. 

I am having a similar problem with a Ms.Marvel 1 7.0 1970's issue i just got back. I was sure it was in the low 9's at least, based on the other 3 sent with it that got 9.2, 9.4, and 9.6. Notes said cover detached at bottom staple. As I view it through the case, it sure looks attached. No slit in the spine at the staple, no paper fraying or even slightly torn at the staple ends.

I have to crack that out to see for myself, because a 7.0 is practically worthless. And if it is a popped staple, odds are at least 50% that it happened at CCS.

Not to say the stain is or is not there, BUT if the book is reevaluated and found that the stain isn't there, I'm almost positive there would be absolutely no compensation given.

On 8/26/2023 at 3:20 PM, PeterTedone said:

I have only submitted three books in my life but I got a Daredevil issue graded since I had it signed by Joe Q and it came back as a 5.5

This was obviously pretty low and I didn't understand why but also mainly did it for the auto so no big deal. Then I decided today to look up WHY it was graded a 5.5 and I am very confused. The grader notes say...

"stain full right of front cover
stain left center of back cover
light bends to cover"

There is no stain on the back and here are two photos of the front cover. Am I missing something? I must be because FULL RIGHT OF FRONT COVER does not show a stain at all to me. The Joe Q auto is actually really tough to see anyhow as well. It is to the lower left of DD's baton in gold sharpie to the left of his torso. Again, maybe I am misunderstanding the intent of the description. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated in understanding this. Thanks!

IMG-4317.thumb.jpg.ba31f303d033a20c34d30f138b3a8871.jpgIMG-4316.thumb.jpg.dece0227ba8d278fda2d9cd0a4f557bc.jpgIMG-4318.thumb.jpg.12bcd8c2b029cc9ac103d0a764284e9c.jpg

I've seen stains that were virtually invisible to the eye unless the light reflected on them just right. If CGC made this big of a grading error, they should compensate you for the full cost of this submission...  

On 8/27/2023 at 3:06 PM, The Lions Den said:

I've seen stains that were virtually invisible to the eye unless the light reflected on them just right. If CGC made this big of a grading error, they should compensate you for the full cost of this submission...  

If there was an error due to some confusion, the best result would be for it to be regraded, new label, new holder, and compensated for any shipping costs incurred. 

On 8/27/2023 at 2:07 PM, Gaard said:

Not to say the stain is or is not there, BUT if the book is reevaluated and found that the stain isn't there, I'm almost positive there would be absolutely no compensation given.

There definitely should be compensation, as I outlined above, to set things right with no harm to the consumer.

IF there was a mistake.

Edited by Lightning55

I appreciate all the feedback given here. I’m going to bring it to a show this weekend where CGC will be and ask what my options are here. Even if that’s cracking it open. Then at least I would know it’s the inside flap or something like that. Again, this particular book I didn’t grade for resell.  Joe Q was doing a signing and this was the best path of signature authentication should I add others from the book (K Smith specifically) at a later show and then have both authenticated properly. Thanks again everyone for the responses.