• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm Tempted to do something very DUMB
3 3

48 posts in this topic

On 8/28/2023 at 4:42 PM, dbcn said:

You do you; but honestly my eyes aren't what they used to be and I have a hard time actually reading comics unless the light / contrast is really good, and I mostly collect for the cover art.

That said, if there is a book I want to actually read, I'll find a digital version so I don't have to hold the actual book out at arms length in order to read the tiny print.

I also don't tape the backs of the bags - I'm way too clumsy to not accidentally connect the tape to the actual book & damage it. 

(hmm... maybe this isn't the hobby for me... hm )

Hey, man, im only 46 and I already use a huge magnifying glass to read my comics.

I dont "really" need it yet but Its so awesome.

On 8/28/2023 at 5:50 PM, Math Teacher said:

Well, it depends on what you mean when you say "move." If "move" means transferring your books from one location to another, then cracking them open isn't a bad idea. If "move" means selling your books, then cracking them open is a very bad idea.

I currently have approximately 230 slabbed books. I don't need to open anyone of them to read the issue; I have alternative ways of doing that. No one in my family has one iota of interest in my comic book and comic art collection. Keeping the books slabbed will make it much easier for them to sell my collection when the time comes. Of course, not all my books are slabbed, but I have very few books that have a value over $250 that are not already slabbed.

Oh, I definitely mean transferring the 200+ slabs out of my house.

My raw collection is more manageable at around 1500 books.

But, at this point, I dont even own a comic box because all my stuff is in filing cabinets.

I guess I should buy some and keep em stashed in the closet.

I have thousands of books. I regularly pull out a box and look through them. Taking the book carefully out of the mylar is just part of the ritual. The point is, I can enjoy them in their entirety any time I want and I do it all the time. Some I have read or thumbed through once and some, many times.

I have a near complete EC collection. Probably the ones I have read the most. Many years ago, I started buying low grade readers and just stacking them in in-bagged piles on a shelf in a closet. No particular order. I probably have a hundred or so.  When I get the itch, I just grab a handful. Nothing like holding and reading an original with no fear of damage.

Slabs are a very quick experience. I spend more time examining the grade than enjoying what they really are. I don’t have that many…

On 8/29/2023 at 10:36 AM, Robot Man said:

I have thousands of books. I regularly pull out a box and look through them. Taking the book carefully out of the mylar is just part of the ritual. The point is, I can enjoy them in their entirety any time I want and I do it all the time. Some I have read or thumbed through once and some, many times.

I have a near complete EC collection. Probably the ones I have read the most. Many years ago, I started buying low grade readers and just stacking them in in-bagged piles on a shelf in a closet. No particular order. I probably have a hundred or so.  When I get the itch, I just grab a handful. Nothing like holding and reading an original with no fear of damage.

Slabs are a very quick experience. I spend more time examining the grade than enjoying what they really are. I don’t have that many…

! agree with you about slabs.

Ive examined them to the point now where I know the defect of each graded book I own off the top of my head.

I even have a mental "hate list"...

...as in "I hate that 9.6 because it looks more like a 9.4 to me."

Its maddening!

Thanks for all the replies! I'm sorry I seem to have ignored this thread, but I've been having trouble signing in to my account for some reason. Anyway...

I really love those spinner racks, southern cross! I'm tempted to try to pick some up, but they seem rather expensive...

As far as not using tape goes, that would be slightly helpful, but the main problem of the books all being in bags standing upright in a box remains. I probably wouldn't take my golden age books out of their mylites and stack them in a pile, but I'm definitely considering doing it with my silver and bronze age books. I've always had my 1970's Treasury editions sitting in a pile that way and they're doing fine. I will admit though, that comics sure do look great in mylites. Maybe I'll compromise and keep the comics in mylites but simply stack them in a pile on a shelf instead of standing out of sight in a box.   

On 8/30/2023 at 7:38 AM, Mark Warren said:

Thanks for all the replies! I'm sorry I seem to have ignored this thread, but I've been having trouble signing in to my account for some reason. Anyway...

I really love those spinner racks, southern cross! I'm tempted to try to pick some up, but they seem rather expensive...

As far as not using tape goes, that would be slightly helpful, but the main problem of the books all being in bags standing upright in a box remains. I probably wouldn't take my golden age books out of their mylites and stack them in a pile, but I'm definitely considering doing it with my silver and bronze age books. I've always had my 1970's Treasury editions sitting in a pile that way and they're doing fine. I will admit though, that comics sure do look great in mylites. Maybe I'll compromise and keep the comics in mylites but simply stack them in a pile on a shelf instead of standing out of sight in a box.   

Up to you :cheers:

I would have thought "standing up" would be easier to flip through than a stack on the side, but glad you got a sense of what you needed (thumbsu