• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size Fantastic Four #5
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Another one of my books purchased at least 35 years ago. This book would be a great candidate for slabbing, but it looks like it got dropped and dinged the bottom corner, and has a 3/4" tear on the cover. WTF.

Book has nice edges, color, and has the feel of a new copy.

20230829_071808.jpg

20230829_071819.jpg

20230829_071915.jpg

20230829_071935.jpg

20230829_071844.jpg

Edited by DR.X

The book appears to be in the NM 9.4 range except for the 1" Spine Split. I would assume this book would get a Green Qualified Label, grading the book as if the defect were not present but noted on the label, if you were to get a Blue Universal Grade accounting for the defect, I assume you may drop 4-6 points for the defect, honestly do not know, unfortunately these are the gray areas in grading.

FR/GD 1.5 - May have a spine split between 2" and 2/3 the length of the book.

GD 2.0 - May have up to a 2" spine split. 

GD/VG 3.0 - May have a spine split of anywhere from 1" to 1-1/2".

VG 4.0 - Moderate spine roll may be present and/or a 1" spine split. 

VG/FN 5.0 - A spine split of up to 1/2" may be present.

FN 6.0 - There can also be a 1/4" spine split or severe color break

FN/VF 7.0 - NM- 9.2 - No Mention of Spine Splits so assume they are not permitted in these grades.

NM 9.4 -  Bindery tears must be less than 1/16" on Silver Age and later books

I haven't seen a Qualified square bound book for a spine split. I have one with a split of similar length graded at 4.5. I think you'd land at 4.5/5.0. Unfortunately, I don't think this is a good grading candidate since it's not buoyed by being a key issue