• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Bets on How Long the Strike Will Last?
2 2

46 posts in this topic

On 8/30/2023 at 12:05 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I think the current strike is at 100 days?

2007/2008 strike lasted 100 days.

1988 strike lasted 154 days.

Guesses?

2025. I am into the scene. One of my shows I connected to which is great will be canceled. A lot of these Marvel Disney plus shows which I am  not involved with won't make it to the finish line. I don't know if anyone noticed this but in the year 2024  DC only has one movie on schedule Joker 2. 

On 9/1/2023 at 4:12 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

2025. I am into the scene. One of my shows I connected to which is great will be canceled. A lot of these Marvel Disney plus shows which I am  not involved with won't make it to the finish line. I don't know if anyone noticed this but in the year 2024  DC only has one movie on schedule Joker 2. 

There’s going to be a lot of sad faces that Botox can’t fix if these guys are out of work until then…

On 9/1/2023 at 6:12 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

A lot of stuff is going to get cancelled, and the things being green lit are going to be drastically reduced.  Force Majeure is coming in full and very soon.  They are going to use this to can tons of stuff. I think the MCU is more of less done till 2025.  Yes, I know stuff is scheduled, but at this rate, most of it is not going to happen.

On 9/1/2023 at 7:16 PM, drotto said:

A lot of stuff is going to get cancelled, and the things being green lit are going to be drastically reduced.  Force Majeure is coming in full and very soon.  They are going to use this to can tons of stuff. I think the MCU is more of less done till 2025.  Yes, I know stuff is scheduled, but at this rate, most of it is not going to happen.

Stuff being canceled.
Productions deals ended.
Filmed series shelved for tax credits.
Wall Street needs businesses to make more money every quarter.

I have NO connections to The Scene, but that would also be my bet. The Studios have 0 reason to cave. They can offer more $, but "more writers in the room" Why? "No AI" Why? "Most other (non-pay-related) demands" Why? They can just wait them out.

Has anyone here seen the South Park episode where Canada went on strike (as an analogy to the last writer's strike)? I don't see a whole lot of difference here, except maybe that the writers have even less leverage 'cause, well, a whole lot of the public doesn't actually care if they come back, maybe even wishes they don't. I hope they enjoy their new Bennigan's coupons. Maybe they can get Applebee's this time?

On 8/30/2023 at 12:05 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I think the current strike is at 100 days?

2007/2008 strike lasted 100 days.

1988 strike lasted 154 days.

Guesses?

This is the death knell for writers. Even if they make an agreement it's just postponing the inevitable. 

I had a conversation with my son and step son. They're both really men, way smarter than me and they BOTH agree that AI is going to upend everything eventually. And fast. 

There is ZERO incentive for studios to cave and the longer they wait the better it is for them. 

Incidentally, this sort of plays well into Disney's plans since they are waiting on contracts to expire before rebooting the X-men / FF franchises that they purchased for $97BIL. Once these contracts expire, are cancelled etc they will reboot these franchises any way they see fit. 

Folks, we are watching the changing of an era in real time with the advent of AI. 

It's implications can't be overstated. Before the end of this decade, life will be entirely different than anything we've known. Mark my words. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 9/1/2023 at 10:15 PM, CAHokie said:
On 9/1/2023 at 9:20 PM, VintageComics said:

Folks, we are watching the changing of an era in real time with the advent of AI. 

Yes, but maybe not for the better

I didn't say it would be better. 

I actually think we are going to enter a time of great trouble. 

On 9/1/2023 at 9:20 PM, VintageComics said:

This is the death knell for writers. Even if they make an agreement it's just postponing the inevitable. 

I had a conversation with my son and step son. They're both really men, way smarter than me and they BOTH agree that AI is going to upend everything eventually. And fast. 

There is ZERO incentive for studios to cave and the longer they wait the better it is for them. 

Incidentally, this sort of plays well into Disney's plans since they are waiting on contracts to expire before rebooting the X-men / FF franchises that they purchased for $97BIL. Once these contracts expire, are cancelled etc they will reboot these franchises any way they see fit. 

It's implications can't be overstated. Before the end of this decade, life will be entirely different than anything we've known. Mark my words. 

The other thing that has come out is that companies are far more actively developing AI and much further along than the writers and general public were aware. 

What we are ultimately going to see is showrunners and writers are going to become AI wranglers. Showrunners will imput the parameters. Then AI will generate the bones of the episode. Then a writer or two will give the scrip a pass to add emotions, jokes, and make sure it works.  The types of things AI is not currently good at, and likely the abilities that will develope last. In theory, very fast and efficient that way. 

On 9/2/2023 at 9:16 AM, drotto said:

The other thing that has come out is that companies are far more actively developing AI and much further along than the writers and general public were aware. 

Oh God, of course they are. There's not a Billion dollar industry that is NOT inundated with profit over people.

While they're pretending to negotiate in good faith they're probably developing a time machine in secret that will even go back and wipe out all of their contracts from the past. 

That's how much I trust Big Anything. 

On 9/1/2023 at 6:20 PM, VintageComics said:

The only thing I know about AI and the changing of an era is that if I had invested $10K in Nvidia (i.e. 833 shares at $12 each) back in 1999, I would be sitting on a nest egg of something like $20M made up of almost 40,000 shares (i.e. post stock splits) at close to $500 a share today, and that would definitely be life changing for me.  :takeit:

On 9/2/2023 at 10:19 PM, paperheart said:

Hopefully long enough that Disney blows up the MCU 24-25 slate

https://www.tvinsider.com/1104134/marvel-reschedules-agatha-echo-x-men-97-what-if/

Echo has been moved to January 2024 

Agatha now Darkhold Diaries is moved to fall of 2024

X-Men 97 is now early 2024

What if Season 2 is now December 2023

Daredevil and Wonderman are paused with no release date.

Ironheart has been pulled from the release schedule (according to Collider)

Edited by drotto

On 9/2/2023 at 10:19 PM, paperheart said:

Hopefully long enough that Disney blows up the MCU 24-25 slate

I believe that is exactly what Disney wants.

On 9/3/2023 at 2:27 PM, VintageComics said:

I believe that is exactly what Disney wants.

They also let go of 2 of the 3 Rick and Morty writers, the one that did MoM, and the Ant Man 3 one (who was also slated to write the next Avenegers movie).  The show runner from She-Hulk is still around.

On 9/2/2023 at 6:16 AM, drotto said:

What we are ultimately going to see is showrunners and writers are going to become AI wranglers. Showrunners will imput the parameters. Then AI will generate the bones of the episode. Then a writer or two will give the scrip a pass to add emotions, jokes, and make sure it works.  The types of things AI is not currently good at, and likely the abilities that will develope last. In theory, very fast and efficient that way. 

At the risk of sounding like the angry old man yelling at a cloud…

If that’s where things end up then I’ll abandon modern movies and TV altogether.  

Over the last couple of years I’ve been focused on building up my collection of movies and TV shows on physical media.  Even stuff I haven’t seen and seems mildly interesting, if I can pick up for a good price I snag it. 

I’ve got a pretty good pile of stuff to watch that’ll keep me entertained for a long time without having to resort to entertainment generated by an AI.