• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Demand for Barry Windsor Smith non-Conan art back ?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

On 9/5/2023 at 7:36 AM, Rick2you2 said:

What makes it “stunning” as compared to well-detailed and weird? Is there a theme to the piece I am missing?

No kidding.  It seems like you're mostly paying for an immaculately rendered stone wall.

On 9/4/2023 at 11:18 PM, tth2 said:

No kidding.  It seems like you're mostly paying for an immaculately rendered stone wall.

It is a very nice wall, too nice if it pulls my attention from the central theme of the picture. But the question remains: what the heck is this about? Is she supposedly looking in the mirror and realizing her hair has the frizzies?

Edited by Rick2you2

On 9/4/2023 at 11:18 PM, tth2 said:

Well, IMO, you're mostly paying (almost exclusively paying?) for the name attached to the picture.

There's nothing wrong with that if you're deep into collecting BWS, but I can't imagine it will excite most people.

On 9/4/2023 at 7:36 PM, Rick2you2 said:

What makes it “stunning” as compared to well-detailed and weird? Is there a theme to the piece I am missing?

Well put.   I don't know the OP and I mean this respectfully but I think people sometimes use words like "stunning" as a stand-alone adjective like that to describe art when they aren't quite sure what else to say?

Edited by Bronty

On 9/5/2023 at 6:57 AM, Rick2you2 said:

It is a very nice wall, too nice if it pulls my attention from the central theme of the picture. But the question remains: what the heck is this about? Is she supposedly looking in the mirror and realizing her hair has the frizzies?

Presumably some kind of plot element regarding the Tros of Samothrace (?) saga.    I haven't read it but google says it is about Caesar's first attempt to conquer the Britons.

On 9/5/2023 at 8:28 AM, Bronty said:

Well put.   I don't know the OP and I mean this respectfully but I think people sometimes use words like "stunning" as a stand-alone adjective like that to describe art when they aren't quite sure what else to say?

My personal favorite is when someone on eBay says something is “rare”. Maybe it’s rare because no one wanted one?