• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why people send random book for grading to cgc?
1 1

44 posts in this topic

A things i cannot understand is why some people send their books for grading them when there aren't some keys issues?

Because in my head this is an expensive process that only worth to make for greats books. 

So which reasons can push someone to send a random book to cgc?

Edited by BA773

I've slabbed some SA keys, and I've slabbed modern books simply because I like the cover art, and I have other keys that I have no plans on slabbing.

Per your example @BA773, not only are there slabbed Batman 504s, there are signed slabbed 504s - so clearly this book means something to someone, key or not. To flip your question: There are also thousands of non-slabbed keys; they're keys, why wouldn't those be slabbed...?

Afaik, there are no rules in this game: Anyone can slab or not slab any book for any reason they like, and shouldn't need to defend themselves or be called stupid for it.

As to why some people would slab a non-key book, all of the reasons @SOTIcollector mentions and 1000 more; but: imho, it's none of my business - am I personally interested in buying a signed copy of Batman 504? Not at all, but someone else might be.

On 9/4/2023 at 5:49 PM, dbcn said:

I've slabbed some SA keys, and I've slabbed modern books simply because I like the cover art, and I have other keys that I have no plans on slabbing.

Per your example @BA773, not only are there slabbed Batman 504s, there are signed slabbed 504s - so clearly this book means something to someone, key or not. To flip your question: There are also thousands of non-slabbed keys; they're keys, why wouldn't those be slabbed...?

Afaik, there are no rules in this game: Anyone can slab or not slab any book for any reason they like, and shouldn't need to defend themselves or be called stupid for it.

As to why some people would slab a non-key book, all of the reasons @SOTIcollector mentions and 1000 more; but: imho, it's none of my business - am I personally interested in buying a signed copy of Batman 504? Not at all, but someone else might be.

You cannot really flip the question because the raw book did not suffer any process. A slabed book is like buy some Fins for your car, there is a process.

On 9/4/2023 at 12:32 PM, Cman429 said:

I never understood this either. I watch a lot of IG sales streams and often there will be people selling slabbed random commons for like $25-40. At best maybe you make just enough to buy a Starbucks latte.

Speculators that missed their mark?

On 9/4/2023 at 2:34 PM, BA773 said:

You cannot really flip the question because the raw book did not suffer any process. A slabed book is like buy some Fins for your car, there is a process.

I thought you were asking why someone would get a book slabbed - clearly there is a process, and that process can be expensive (I don't know that 'suffer' is the word I'd choose) - but I wouldn't think of it as 'fins for your car' - I'd think of it more like music - some people like some artists, others can't possibly understand the appeal. Each to his own: some people are just going to put spoilers on their Chevy. 

I've never sent any books in to be slabbed and have purchased fewer than 50. To me, the primary reason to slab a book is that you want to sell it either now or sometime in the future.  Slabbing it eliminates one of the objections a buyer might have - a disagreement about the grade if a book is left raw.

I came across a low-grade late SA collection when I lived in Las Vegas. The books were well-read and had some artwork added to some of the books.  Overall, they'd be in the 3.0-4.0 range. I offered him $4 a pop and would have sold them for $10. He claimed they hadn't been cherry-picked, but I didn't believe him. He passes, and a few weeks later he sees me and pretty much accuses me of trying to rip him off. He said some of his books were worth hundreds and he'd sent them all out for pressing and then to be graded. None of them would have been slabbed by someone who had a clue.  

Multiply that by a few hundred collectors a year and then again for the twenty-plus years. You'll see thousands of books that weren't graded for sentimental reasons or as an experiment but simply because stupid people get greedy.

Edited by shadroch

People come across a pile of comics. They look up their ASM 135 and see it is worth $____, but in 9.8. They decide that, of course, their copy is a 9.8 (and then several other books). They don't have a clue about grading and get back a bunch of 5.0s. tah dah. 

On 9/4/2023 at 10:50 PM, Semicentennial said:

They send it in because they're trying to make more money.  A lot of non-key Marvel/DC cgc 9.8 from 2000 and before can go for at least $50 or more.   You're going to make more money selling a non-key cgc 9.8 than a $5 high grade non-key raw comic. )

That's a pretty big investment to make for a $50 sale hoping it comes back a 9.8. $9 added for the pre-screen/reject (do they tell you what they would have graded it on a pre-screen?)