• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dent and Bale Marks
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I use this program to help me grade, and there is this one area where I just don't exactly know what it is that they are calling "dent and bale marks". I tried googling to no help, and the picture they include is too small to help. So I'm hoping someone can explain "dent and bale marks" to me in plain English. Thanks ......

Capture.JPG

I suspect what they mean by 'dent and bale marks' is the surface impression left by the tight bundling of a stack of books for distribution, which was done with things like string and metal straps.  The front cover of the book on top of the pile and the back cover of the one on the bottom sometimes would wind up with dents, railroad track-like impressions, or tiny cuts at the top or the bottom.  Edge damage also sometimes occurred with books inside the stacks.

Edited by namisgr

I appreciate the answer, and think you are correct, but I wonder if they didn't mean all dents in the cover, not just those from the shipping and baling process. I suppose that the whole point of pressing a comic is to remove bends, creases, wrinkles and dents and possibly bale marks.