• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone recognize this Tick drawing?

4 posts in this topic

Hey, seen others post this type of question with some success, figured I’d try.

I got this tick drawing in a lot of published art from various decades. It’s very well done and has the x marks for black inking meaning someone intended it to be finished in a specific way. Anyone recognize the image, or the signature/style? It could be a very tight pencil to some commission meant to be inked, but it would be the only commission in the 100+ pieces in the lot so I’m suspect of that. 

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_2727.jpeg

IMG_2728.jpeg

Edited by zhamlau

This looks like an adaption of events in issue #5 of the original series.  There's a story about how Max Banks (Edlund's regular inker at the time and whose real name is something else) had penciled that issue as a fill-in while Edlund was on vacation.  The first version of the pencils he submitted was a different style than what Edlund had been drawing so Bob Polio had him re-draw the whole issue.  He wasn't happy about that and I think it was the breaking point that led to him leaving the book.  That doesn't look like Banks' signature so I doubt it's a rejected cover or splash from that issue, but it reminded me of that story.  You may want to ask Bob Polio if he knows what it is.