• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venus #19 Cover Original Art Bill Everett
1 1

25 posts in this topic

On 9/7/2023 at 5:31 PM, mstrange said:

Didn't Marvel keep any of the artwork or Bill Everett estates???

Golden age artwork from DC and Marvel/Atlas is very rare. I own one cover from Timely by John Buscema from 1949. I dint think I have ever seen a Bill Everett original cover from the golden age.

On 9/7/2023 at 7:15 PM, Brian Peck said:

Golden age artwork from DC and Marvel/Atlas is very rare. I own one cover from Timely by John Buscema from 1949. I dint think I have ever seen a Bill Everett original cover from the golden age.

Do you think that art is owned by the estate of Bill Everett or was discarded over the years.

Very little exists from Timely/Atlas era

Below is only cover art I am aware of - owner suggests there is another in the header:

EVERETT - Astonishing cover (1 of 2 Atlas covers known to exist?), in Richard Donnelly's ATLAS EVERETT COVER - (Horror) Comic Art Gallery Room (comicartfans.com)

On interiors, Young Men 26 is out there - you can see a few pages in HA.com archives and online - and of course, the historic Marvel comics 1 page just posted

The Everett estate sold some nice art on HA.com a while back

One less thing to worry about raising funds for - if this cover popped up, no telling what it would sell for...

Mark

On 9/7/2023 at 10:24 PM, mstrange said:

Do you think that art is owned by the estate of Bill Everett or was discarded over the years.

Most was discarded. The family has no Golden Age art.

I think there might be a cover from the 50s along with several Sub-Mariner pages from the 1950s. 

Edited by artdealer

On 9/7/2023 at 7:24 PM, mstrange said:

Golden age artwork was considered worthless just part of the process. One story is a publisher used it to insulate the walls of his house.

On 9/8/2023 at 4:03 AM, mtlevy1 said:

Very little exists from Timely/Atlas era

Below is only cover art I am aware of - owner suggests there is another in the header:

EVERETT - Astonishing cover (1 of 2 Atlas covers known to exist?), in Richard Donnelly's ATLAS EVERETT COVER - (Horror) Comic Art Gallery Room (comicartfans.com)

On interiors, Young Men 26 is out there - you can see a few pages in HA.com archives and online - and of course, the historic Marvel comics 1 page just posted

The Everett estate sold some nice art on HA.com a while back

One less thing to worry about raising funds for - if this cover popped up, no telling what it would sell for...

Mark

From what I recall, it went unpublished.