• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sorry if this is a bad post, but....

35 posts in this topic

I would guess between 200 and 400.

There have been 530 Universal CGC 10s out of 124,597 graded books dated 2000-2005.

That's a ratio of about 425 Universal CGC 10s per 100,000 books graded,

or about 1 for every 235 books graded.

Since a number of higher-volume submitters take advantage of pre-screening,

it's unlikely that 425 per 100,000 would apply to an entire print run...

since books at 9.2 and 9.4 (and even 9.6) don't show up on the census

whenever someone is pre-screening for the highest grades.

425 is probably "too high" but just barely. Worst case would be about half that, I think.

Assuming that you knew what you were doing when you first unpacked the boxes........

I would say you are looking at around 350-400 if they are typical paperstock, and over 1,000 if they are cardstock covers.

But about 5-10% of all issues will not have a single 10 in the entire run due to printing defects.

I've slabbed a couple dozen 10s at this point (which is probably as many as all the regular posters on this board combined). And there are some issues that are "easier" than others to get 10s, plus some issues that just won't ever have any.

So basically out of 100K you can expect only about 1% to be graded perfect 10????

At best, and that's if they are cardstock covers (like 1602). Paper covers less than 1/2 of 1%...

And again, that assumes you do everything correctly when you first open the box. Open the box incorrectly and every 10 you have is gone before you even get them to CGC...