• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first submission to CSG and 125 graded cards later...

42 posts in this topic

On 4/23/2022 at 2:09 AM, I dont have one said:

I agree they get more for PSA than SGC and registry is likely one reason why. I don’t think you can quote anyplace where I said those services grade softly. While HGA is new and I’m not totally sure how I feel about them yet, PSA and SGC have both been around a long time. They set the current standards and CSG under grades by comparison. That’s just fact. If you look through my posts you’ll see “more fair” and “fairly” multiple times as regards to PSA, SGC or HGA. No place will you see “soft”. Maybe your opinion is that PSA and SGC over grade. Fine, you’re entitled to it. I have no problem with someone else having that perspective. But I’m also not new at this. Ive been collecting for over 30 years. What a small group of people here just can’t seem to admit is that maybe it’s CSG that is under grading. There are obviously variations from card to card but the major glaring issue is CSGs ridiculous surface grading. Other graders simply do not agree with their take on surface. We don’t need a sports card scrutinized with the Hubble space telescope to be graded properly. If you can’t see it with the eye and you can’t see it with the 10x lighted jewelers loupe that I use then it’s not important to a collector. Let me get more specific. So if a CSG card gets 8.5 centering, 9.5 corners, 9 edges, but a foolishly harsh 7.5 on surface totally devaluing the card giving it an overall  8. It’s a joke. They’re likely about a half point low on the other 3 factors in my personal opinion. In this example the card would be 9 centering, 10 corners, 9.5 edges and their surface grades in particular are off the reservation needing the 1.5 adjustment in a lot of cases so 9 surface. This card should grade at worst a 9 and they grade it an 8 usually due to that one factor they  are way, way off on. Clearly other people feel this way as well. And we’re entitled to that opinion. And it’s backed up currently by ROI despite other factors including registries. I don’t think it’s going to change either but in the end time will tell. 

SGC has *not* been around as long as people think. Green label SGC was CCG's initial foray into the trading card market. Black label SGC is actually a separate company from the original SGC. CSG is CCG's current attempt at sportscard grading. If anyone wanted to claim Green SGC"s legacy, CSG has more basis for such claim than Black SGC.

Since you say you've been collecting for 30+ years, you would know this. I'm explaining it for those who don't know the history of card grading.

Anyway, you keep saying you never said all these things, but others keep inferring that to be the meaning of what you wrote. So, did you intend to imply that, but don't want to be held to that position?

You can say that but SGC claims to still have many of the same graders there now that worked there ages ago. There’s been continuity. The corporate entity that controlled at the time is of little consequence. This debate is about the CURRENT philosophy of grading at the CURRENT CSG. Not what CCG may have done at a different company at a different time. It’s a false equivalency. And I do not intend to imply PSA and SGC over grade. I don’t have a 100% firm opinion on HGA yet although I’ve been happy in general with HGA so far on the one order I sent them. And no I’m not attempting not to be held to what I actually said. These posts get long sometimes so to keep it simple, I have said and am still saying PSA and SGC grade fairly and CSG under grades in my opinion. No need to read between the lines. 

Edited by I dont have one