• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Trading Cards and CSG Will Combine to Become the World’s Second-largest Card Grading Service
2 2

25 posts in this topic

On 6/26/2023 at 3:27 AM, CGCRyan said:

I was told that all reholders are $5 right now (for cards valued under $10,000) and high value reholders are $15(for cards valued over $10,000).

Grading Scale

Pristine 10

Gem Mint 10

Mint+ 9.5

Mint 9

NM/Mint+ 8.5

NM/Mint 8

NM+ 7.5

NM 7

Ex/NM+ 6.5

Ex/NM 6

Excellent+ 5.5

Excellent 5

VG/Ex+ 4.5

VG/Ex 4

Very Good+ 3.5

Very Good 3

Good+ 2.5

Good 2

Fair 1.5

Poor 1

Are they going to use the CGC (vague at best) grading definitions or the CSG (specific but changes annually) ones? Also, CGC has subgrades, will cards that had CSG green subs get the subs back if I relabel to CGC?

• Administrator
On 6/26/2023 at 6:49 PM, northkorea said:

Are they going to use the CGC (vague at best) grading definitions or the CSG (specific but changes annually) ones? Also, CGC has subgrades, will cards that had CSG green subs get the subs back if I relabel to CGC?

Sub-grades will no longer be offered with CGC Cards. Any cards submitted with sub-grades will be reholdered without the sub-grades.

On 6/21/2023 at 1:08 PM, Todd Carte said:

I was not part of any focus group. I have offered my opinion on several things over the years but no one has ever asked. I do like being #1 in the registry but I really don't think that my opinion more valuable than any other collectors. We all like CSG or we wouldn't be here. I'd like them a lot more if the price per card dropped back under $10 :grin: But, to toot my own horn a little, I've been collecting for around 45 years and I have accumulated quite a bit of knowledge about cards and the hobby in general. More specifically. I like errors and variations and I have had some trouble getting CSG to recognize some pretty rare variations and notating them on the slab and in the registry. 

On 6/21/2023 at 2:05 PM, TwoYewts said:

I have encountered the same issue. I collect more vintage than modern and variations (and obscure issues) that I would have no problem getting notated/graded with PSA or SGC are not considered by CSG/CGC which has been disappointing. 

I like errors and defects too if there were a few runs that got packed out. Foil, ink, blackless and so on. Liking the yellowless errors because they are even rarer than the blackless. Smoltz and Sanders (my favorite) yellowless errors are very rare.

From my "Ask CSG", yellowless thread that got locked for whatever reason...

CMatthews
I was able to confirm "This is not an error we catalog at this time. We would consider cataloging it with more information. For example, the missing black ink 1990 Topps was a result of a known issue happening during the run caused by a foreign object." Thank you!

This is not a bash, I am considering giving CGC a try.

Asking for more info? Card grading companies and their graders should already have the knowledge to grade cards. If I took a diamond for grading and they asked for more information it would be SMH.

If we are talking about a "foreign object" and the blackless, I believe that was the result of cleaning solution that was not removed/dried before the next run. Not cardboard stock, paper or tape... Liquid.

With the change to CGC maybe my 1990 Topps Baseball yellowless cards can get error labels now since they did it with Pokemon.

CGC Cards Error Guide
Types of Error Cards
Insufficient Ink
"the graders did recognize the clear insufficient ink error on this Evolutions Zapdos holo card."     *Insufficient yellow ink*

Come on CGC! You did labels for the Fleer Randy Johnson, "Skinned Back" altered Mantle, Robinson with Partial Mantle and some embossed errors that are everywhere.

blackless.png

ml.jpg

On 7/14/2023 at 11:58 AM, <error> said:

From my "Ask CSG", yellowless thread that got locked for whatever reason...

CMatthews
I was able to confirm "This is not an error we catalog at this time. We would consider cataloging it with more information. For example, the missing black ink 1990 Topps was a result of a known issue happening during the run caused by a foreign object." Thank you!

CGC Cards Error Guide

Types of Error Cards
Insufficient Ink
"the graders did recognize the clear insufficient ink error on this Evolutions Zapdos holo card."     *Insufficient yellow ink*

Come on CGC! You did labels for the Fleer Randy Johnson, "Skinned Back" altered Mantle, Robinson with Partial Mantle and some embossed errors that are everywhere.

blackless.png

ml.jpg

Perhaps it got locked for your response to my comments about how printing defects are typically viewed as just that: a defect…

After I wrote this, you made some comment about my not being a CSG employee (which I never claim to be, as you can see below).

“The lack of properly applied ink would usually be a detractor, as a print defect, not a specialized category. The exception is when it results in significantly observable changes (NNOF Frank Thomas being the most widely accepted). The reason this is generally the case is doing otherwise would result in the entire problem that gets encountered with the 1989 Fleer Randy Johnson "Marlboro visible" vs "Marlboro partially obscured" red version.”

Have you asked PSA or the CU boards what their thoughts are on Topps “yellowless” cards?

On 7/14/2023 at 11:05 PM, northkorea said:

Perhaps it got locked for your response to my comments about how printing defects are typically viewed as just that: a defect…

After I wrote this, you made some comment about my not being a CSG employee (which I never claim to be, as you can see below).

Maybe, I think it was because they did not want your impending response. Yes, printing defects are defects. Thomas, Mantle and Ruth are just a few names of thousands of cards that have defects. Some people like errors (defects) and of course some do not.

I'm sorry you did not comprehend what I had written. I was inquiring (asking) if you were an employee.

Here is what I had written.

This thread is "Ask CSG". Are you an employee of CSG and do you make the cataloging decisions?

Thank you for commenting on my posts again! (thumbsu