• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Creepy 15 Interior Pages - Bug Chew or Chipping???
1 1

30 posts in this topic

I see this type of corner chipping on roughly 10% of Warren magazines specifically between 1966-1969. It can be at the top, bottom or rarely both. I believe this is as stated by others that it is a fairly significant side effect of the production trim. With all due respect to the mighty Oakman, Silverfish generally do much cleaner work than this and do their work anywhere, not just corners. It’s similar to a mouse chew, but never affects covers and typically only a portion of the interior pages. It’s too consistent to be bugs or animals.

Given the loss of material, and the fact that copies exist without this defect, in my own personal grading standard I drop the grade 1-1.5 points. Your mileage may vary. 

On 9/20/2023 at 7:08 AM, Stevemmg said:

I see this type of corner chipping on roughly 10% of Warren magazines specifically between 1966-1969. It can be at the top, bottom or rarely both. I believe this is as stated by others that it is a fairly significant side effect of the production trim. With all due respect to the mighty Oakman, Silverfish generally do much cleaner work than this and do their work anywhere, not just corners. It’s similar to a mouse chew, but never affects covers and typically only a portion of the interior pages. It’s too consistent to be bugs or animals.

Given the loss of material, and the fact that copies exist without this defect, in my own personal grading standard I drop the grade 1-1.5 points. Your mileage may vary. 

(worship)

Well I can for 1 say I have a picky bug that didn't like the cover(of a comic) except for the bottom of the spine where it entered the book...but ate through every page. Book presents extremely well, higher grade except for this disaster... What's the input on this... Silverfish likely.

.5 CGC grade or a 8.0+ qualified.

IMG_20240226_054925.jpg

IMG_20240226_054958.jpg

IMG_20240226_055018.jpg

IMG_20240226_055026.jpg

IMG_20240226_055035.jpg

Edited by KryptoSpidey

On 2/26/2024 at 10:05 PM, Stevemmg said:

Yep, you’re on the right track. A very hungry silver fish. 

I find it interesting that they allegedly like to eat glue and they often avoid areas where ink is present...  hm

so I have a combination of either rats or bed bugs in my studio apartment (rent controlled) in the upper east side. have had a lot of similar issues with comics. set up a mouse trap with a block of swiss cheese, but waken up at 3 am one morning and forgot about the trap. tried to grap the cheese and the thing got my finger. YOUCH!

picture for reference

cfa7f03913d379139fabea02d0601f4bb1cedd33 

On 2/27/2024 at 8:26 AM, mrmovies said:

so I have a combination of either rats or bed bugs in my studio apartment (rent controlled) in the upper east side. have had a lot of similar issues with comics. set up a mouse trap with a block of swiss cheese, but waken up at 3 am one morning and forgot about the trap. tried to grap the cheese and the thing got my finger. YOUCH!

picture for reference

cfa7f03913d379139fabea02d0601f4bb1cedd33 

Rats or bedbugs are so far apart.