• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Secret Wars #8
2 2

13 posts in this topic

UPDATE: I noticed the images I uploaded last night were a bit dark/blurry so I took some new photos and swapped out what I could.  Hopefully this helps!

There are some interesting marks on this issue and I wanted your input on how they'd affect grading.  To start, there are two lines of overspray at the top of the comic, the right light seems to have caused some damage to the front facing cover (or there is just well-aligned damage in that area).  How much does that affect the final grade?  Second, the top staple is almost entirely on the front of the issue.  Does this count as a manufacturing defect?   Lastly, there seems to be some color rub on the final page (spidey getting his black suit) that appears to come from the back cover.  Does that affect overall grading?

I appreciate your insight!

2kC9keQ.jpg

jsp4sm6.jpg

DjZp5jm.jpg

BZeSA6G.jpg

3z3fYTN.jpg

iYEBAlg.jpg

gD0wOZE.jpg

P7AowCD.jpg

11CcYhE.jpg

ZT9OxBI.jpg

close up of damage to front cover

MJ9gY0m.jpg

an attempt at a spine close up

ZAJcXeY.jpg

overspray marks

EWGyoBK.jpg

the front-facing staple

DjZp5jm.jpg

trying to showcase the staples interior

bCbmVHg.jpg

color rub

ZjJriTT.jpg

interior page

oLDdyPp.jpg

Edited by harvust

On 9/20/2023 at 1:06 PM, marvelmaniac said:

Questions...Some of the pics are blurry/fuzzy.

1)I cannot really tell what the mark is at the top edge of the front cover.

2)Is there any spine roll?

3)I see staining along the outer edge of the rear cover in some pics but not in others?

a5vo89p.jpg

Ag87vAn.jpg

Pu6wopo.jpg

Yes that blue mark on the back cover is distributor spray.  I have no idea what the damage on the front of the cover is but it also lines up perfectly with the distributor spray which I find curious.  I would say you're on the right track with a light spine roll. You're also right about the small stains on the back cover.

Hope the new pics help! 

Blunted corners with small/color breaking creases at outer corners, minor spine stress with a couple of color breaking spine ticks and small staple tears, severe color loss at top edge, top staple off center w/minor spine roll, moderate staining/discoloration on rear cover.

IMO, Due to the severe color loss on the top edge and rear cover staining...FN 6.0 - FN+ 6.5

7.0 FINE/VERY FINE (FN/VF):  Back to Top
An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with outstanding eye appeal. A small accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor cover wear beginning to show, possibly including minor creases. Corners may be blunted. Inks are generally bright with a moderate reduction in reflectivity. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. Minor foxing. The slightest spine roll may be present, as well as a possible moderate color break. Staples may show some discoloration. Slight staple tears and a small accumulation of light stress lines may be present. Slight rust migration. Paper is cream to tan. Centerfold is mostly secure. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present.

6.5 FINE+ (FN+):  Back to Top
Fits the criteria for Fine but with an additional virtue or small accumulation of virtues that improves the book's appearance by a perceptible amount.

6.0 FINE (FN):  Back to Top
An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with no significant creasing or other serious defects. Some accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor cover wear apparent, with minor to moderate creases. Inks show a significant reduction in reflectivity. Blunted corners are more common, as is minor staining, soiling, discoloration, and/or foxing. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. A minor spine roll is allowed. There can also be a 1/4" spine split or severe color break. Staples may show minor discoloration. Minor staple tears and a few slight stress lines may be present, as well as minor rust migration. Paper is tan to brown and fairly supple with no signs of brittleness. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present. Centerfold may be loose.

I think 6-6.5. I'm with MarvelManiac about that top-left staple appearing a little rusty too and not just off center, hence why I am at 6.0-6.5 and not near 7.0 as some others.

To me, this is better off Not being slabbed... The price spread between Raw at the same grade range and slabbed is not justifiable in my book to spend the $$. If you are looking just to preserve and keep for your collection, then have at it.

From: https://covrprice.com/issue/marvel-super-heroes-secret-wars-vol-1-8-newsstand/

image.thumb.png.71f43dccb4b94fff401dcc37c4b1f13a.png