• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How soon after pressing should a book be graded?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I know this is a very general question, but I was going to have a local presser do some books for me, but probably wouldn’t send them right away. Will they start to revert back to their pre-pressed conditions slightly? Is it a good idea to have CGC press them again right before grading or can too many presses hurt a book, even if done properly? I would think a book being graded just days after a pressing would present better than a book pressed 6 months before grading. Thanks for any input.

On 9/20/2023 at 8:52 AM, Mgc015 said:

I know this is a very general question, but I was going to have a local presser do some books for me, but probably wouldn’t send them right away. Will they start to revert back to their pre-pressed conditions slightly? Is it a good idea to have CGC press them again right before grading or can too many presses hurt a book, even if done properly? I would think a book being graded just days after a pressing would present better than a book pressed 6 months before grading. Thanks for any input.

Use a pressing service that hand delivers the books to CGC shortly after pressing. Books can get dinged in the mail or when the package is opened.

When your presser returns your books to you. You should do a thorough visual inspection for bends, spine ticks, waves and other pressable defects before accepting the books back. You should then do another thorough visual inspection before sending to cgc if it’s at a later date.