• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mylite size and fullback question
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I'm back in after being out of collecting a few decades and want to reboard and bag my old stuff (still in bags from the 80s). I decided to go with Mylites 2 and either full or half backs. Almost all of my books are standard marvel size from the early 60s to the late 80s. Should I go with Standard Size or Golden Age Size?

For backing boards, I've heard fullbacks have a rough exterior (not glossy smooth coated). If the books are packed tight, will this impress a weird texture to the comic over time?

Thanks for your input!

On 9/21/2023 at 2:31 AM, ostanni said:

I'm back in after being out of collecting a few decades and want to reboard and bag my old stuff (still in bags from the 80s). I decided to go with Mylites 2 and either full or half backs. Almost all of my books are standard marvel size from the early 60s to the late 80s. Should I go with Standard Size or Golden Age Size?

For backing boards, I've heard fullbacks have a rough exterior (not glossy smooth coated). If the books are packed tight, will this impress a weird texture to the comic over time?

Thanks for your input!

You want the Silver/Gold size. Golden will be too big and Standard too snug for '60s books. Here is a good thread on the topic:

I posted this in the visual guide to mylar sizes but why not here as well...

I'm not a fan of the one side coated boards from E. Gerber so I switched to the 56 point boards from Comic Pro Line.  Unfortunately, as others have mentioned, the Comic Pro Line mylar bags tend to easily split along the sides so I prefer the mylar bags from E. Gerber.

Since I don't have a lot of GA books (the horror) - I've started to use the following combination:

E. Gerber 725M2 Mylites2 (7 1/4 x 10 1/2)

Comic Pro Line Silver 56 point boards (7 1/4 x 10 1/2)

I've found this combination (E. Gerber bag and Comic Pro board), is not as snug as just using the bag and board from Comic Pro line.  Also, for those that care, the flaps on the Comic Pro line bags are larger.

Bagsizedifference.thumb.jpg.6544438462232885f7af2880c502bff9.jpg

Beautiful! Hard to see the bag but who cares.

Finalpic.thumb.jpg.be9fc961ee4ce2d09950e0ff75105b08.jpg

On 9/21/2023 at 9:17 PM, Pontoon said:

You want the Silver/Gold size. Golden will be too big and Standard too snug for '60s books. Here is a good thread on the topic:

Thanks the picture links are dead on that thread so I put some relevant ones here if anyone would like to save some time...

Does anyone have any idea about the rough textured full backs impressing on the comic cover?

Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 4.39.45 PM.png

On 9/21/2023 at 8:46 AM, ostanni said:

Thanks the picture links are dead on that thread so I put some relevant ones here if anyone would like to save some time...

Does anyone have any idea about the rough textured full backs impressing on the comic cover?

Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 4.39.45 PM.png

If you mean the E. Gerber fullbacks - no.  I've used them for a long time and never had any issues.  As I stated in the previous post, I don't plan on using them anymore due to them being coated on one side (I'm sure they're still safe but my OCD says no. (:).

On 9/21/2023 at 11:57 PM, HighRadArt said:

If you mean the E. Gerber fullbacks - no.  I've used them for a long time and never had any issues.  As I stated in the previous post, I don't plan on using them anymore due to them being coated on one side (I'm sure they're still safe but my OCD says no. (:).

From what I've read the E. Gerber fullbacks are not coated. That there is no smooth coating and the entire board is made from acid-free material. But that the white side is not smooth since it is not coated (apparently any side can face the comic?).

That's why I was concerned about the impression changing the smooth comic texture. I 've never held one so I don't know how "rough" it is, but I've heard it's rougher than the rough side on typical backing boards from the 80s-90s.

Genuine acid-free, cellular fiber. Meets strict U.S. Government standards for archival storage. 3% calcium carbonate buffer throughout, maintains a neutral pH. One side white. The highest quality backing board available anywhere"

On 9/28/2022 at 5:10 PM, icp004 said:

I just purchased 50 pack of E. Gerber 700FB from eBay.  I noticed only one side is white and the other is brown. Is this new for them to cut costs or a manufacture defect?  All others I have are white on both sides.  Product numbers seem to match up with what I received in the past.  I’ll email E. Gerber tomorrow to see what they say.  Here is side by side of old and new. 

EE73AE0A-2F54-4C4E-A01A-A2AB06131E4B.jpeg

7003AD58-343B-465F-BC18-6E55EA516D44.jpeg

Edited by HighRadArt