• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Weekly Auctions
2 2

143 posts in this topic

On 6/14/2024 at 12:37 PM, TupennyConan said:

By people who know nothing about the stock market he must mean those persons who contributed to DJIA 40K &, of course, you @Silver Surfer 

Typical snobbery on display...again.

On 6/14/2024 at 7:37 AM, tth2 said:

Who even looks at the Dow anymore?  The Dow is the stock market index that only people who know nothing about the stock market look at.

The US Dollar is super strong.  It has literally never been more highly valued.  If you're referring to Russia doing more and more business in Yuan, that's because they have no choice.  They will ultimately very much regret getting caught in Beijing's sticky web.

I do agree the super strong USD could impact OA prices, though, because it could certainly suppress demand from foreign buyers unless they have an existing pool of USD to tap into. 

I was referring to the looming threat of BRICS. It may never get the necessary traction but if it does the US king dollar will be hit hard. 

On 6/14/2024 at 9:37 AM, TupennyConan said:

By people who know nothing about the stock market he must mean those persons who contributed to DJIA 40K &, of course, you @Silver Surfer 

Been in banking all my life. Wasn’t referring to any specific investment vehicles, the handful of hot tech stocks, etc. I just see the daily Teeter Toter effect of the general markets and there are a lot of nervous investors, red flags and potential bubbles. Real estate is dicey too especially the commercial side of things.  But I’m a big boy, will take that jab in stride. :cheers:

On 6/15/2024 at 10:11 AM, Silver Surfer said:

Been in banking all my life. Wasn’t referring to any specific investment vehicles, the handful of hot tech stocks, etc. I just see the daily Teeter Toter effect of the general markets and there are a lot of nervous investors, red flags and potential bubbles. Real estate is dicey too especially the commercial side of things.  But I’m a big boy, will take that jab in stride. :cheers:

I knew you were more financially sophisticated, which is why I was surprised that you were describing the stock market's recent action inaccurately and even more surprised when it turned you that you were referring to the Dow Jones. :foryou: 

On 6/14/2024 at 10:11 PM, Silver Surfer said:

But I’m a big boy, will take that jab in stride. :cheers:

:highfive:

Folks make all variety of silly assumptions in life, on the Boards or elsewhere. One common, habitual guess folks make in the electronic ether is that their silent readership isn't more sophisticated than they are. The folks who don't post somehow don't exist & stuff.

That's kookoo.

There must be a colorful chart&graph to support these assertions.

If you post, you shouldn't believe the likes-tally tallies your likes. Such a belief would be silly & would lack sophistication. Don't be so smartypants! The chap next to you on the public bus is always bound to be better looking &c &c&c! 

Any reader of this post, silent or otherwise, can translate it over to OA collecting & away from this thread's predictable drift into the WC's Gold thread reportage on the DOW or the Q's or some other mundane letter porridge.

There's some Silver Samuri 90's card art tomorrow. The colors strike me as awfully muted for the genre. Last I was told, it's at nearly $2k. What the heck?

:ohnoez:

there was a large number of pedestrian DC OA from various books from the 2000's that got no live bids and/or sold for less than $50.  I fail to see how the math works out for the consignor to bother at all unless they are making it up in volume.  It's kind of a waste of everybody's time.  In some cases I don't think the seller got even $20.  They would have been better off sticking it on Ebay or MCS. 

On 7/18/2024 at 9:22 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

there was a large number of pedestrian DC OA from various books from the 2000's that got no live bids and/or sold for less than $50.  I fail to see how the math works out for the consignor to bother at all unless they are making it up in volume.  It's kind of a waste of everybody's time.  In some cases I don't think the seller got even $20.  They would have been better off sticking it on Ebay or MCS. 

Yup.  I had a lot of consignments in yesterday's auction, and while some performed better than FMV, they didn't make up for the half-price sale on the DC and Marvel stuff (Spidey/FF/Green Lantern/Superman).  Heck, I even had a Bagley page sell for a dollar. 

One.

Lousy.

Dollar!

On 7/18/2024 at 8:29 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Yup.  I had a lot of consignments in yesterday's auction, and while some performed better than FMV, they didn't make up for the half-price sale on the DC and Marvel stuff (Spidey/FF/Green Lantern/Superman).  Heck, I even had a Bagley page sell for a dollar. 

One.

Lousy.

Dollar!

ouch man, that sucks. 

but, but...the HA mandates a $30 minimum, so the buyer has almost $50 after tax, S&H. so when they flip it on eBay you can buy it back for $50, and consign to Clink.  Hope for $75 I mean, that's how it works with the flipped art that has more zeros amirite? The auction machine adds a fictitiously high percentage to the FMV.  That's how the game is played. :kidaround:

I think the answer is yesterday's lots were sent in months ago when conditions were presumably better than they are now. I have a stack called Heritage Round 2 but I won't send them in until things start to improve, or not at all. Welcome to the 1 dollar hammer club. Bidding is just completely anemic during the live sales on these weekly auctions. Hopefully consignments dry up and they consolidate a bit more. I don't know a single collector who says they can keep track of all the auctions anymore.

Edited by cstojano

The reality is that there's a lot of generic stuff being sold in these auctions, and with so much volume and the frequency of the auctions (particularly when you include all the special auctions that Heritage is running plus CC and CL and Hake's), it's not surprising that the market is finally showing fatigue for the more common stuff. 

I think there's still interest and action on desirable items, but if I were sitting on generic stuff, I'd hold off on consigning it until the auction houses start cutting down on the volume of auctions.

On the other hand, for buyers, particularly those more interested in the lower end of the market, this is a great time!

On 7/18/2024 at 9:41 AM, tth2 said:

The reality is that there's a lot of generic stuff being sold in these auctions, and with so much volume and the frequency of the auctions (particularly when you include all the special auctions that Heritage is running plus CC and CL and Hake's), it's not surprising that the market is finally showing fatigue for the more common stuff. 

I think there's still interest and action on desirable items, but if I were sitting on generic stuff, I'd hold off on consigning it until the auction houses start cutting down on the volume of auctions.

On the other hand, for buyers, particularly those more interested in the lower end of the market, this is a great time!

Totally agree with that - coupled with the astronomical asking price for those common pages in other places. To me, it seems like there is a definite risk in buying a common page (i.e., talking heads, non-action or featuring lesser appreciated characters) because the long-term value depends on whether the storyline becomes so ingrained or beloved in comic collectors' minds that it will then see value.

It seems with the modern day comic culture (with so many different ways comic properties can be consumed by the masses. i.,e digital comics, animation, live action, video games), the likelihood of a story becoming iconic is much more difficult because there just aren't as many eyes on it.

I look at Silvestri 'Fall of the Mutants' pages - which are coveted by collectors because of how iconic it was to a large portion of multiple generations - and I just don't know how modern books will elevate themselves in the future to those kinds of desirability.

I wonder if these auction houses will begin to curate what goes into them - even if HA makes a $30 kicker with their minimum BP, it doesn't exactly bolster confidence in a seller feeling that they are the best venue for resale. At some point, pages selling for $10 (even substandard ones) will do more damage to their brand than the prospect of a $30 profit. And I use the term "profit" lightly, as the amount of administration and handling of one piece of art that only nets them $30 likely chews up the majority of "profit" they can glean from it.

Having a company tell you "thanks, but no thanks" is incredibly butt-hurtful to potential customers - I imagine it's a very fine line to be exclusionary to some, but not others. Tricky place their in, now that we're working in this downmarket.

Edited by Dr. Balls