• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Share your Whiz Comics here!
3 3

37 posts in this topic

On 10/2/2023 at 2:25 PM, MrBedrock said:

whiz10.jpg

Great books! Curious what your thoughts are about Captain Marvel and Superman and which do you think made the bigger impression on the kids back in the Golden Age? 

On 10/2/2023 at 7:00 PM, bronze johnny said:

Great books! Curious what your thoughts are about Captain Marvel and Superman and which do you think made the bigger impression on the kids back in the Golden Age? 

I like the character of Superman a little better than Captain Marvel but I am not anywhere near old enough to answer the second part of that question.

On 10/2/2023 at 8:00 PM, bronze johnny said:

Interesting questions! There are a few Youtube videos on the history of Captain Marvel that mention this.   Superman had a float in the NY Macy's Thanksgiving Parade in 1940: https://macysthanksgiving.fandom.com/wiki/Superman along with the radio show series, and 1942 cartoons, so he was widely popular. If I recall correctly the Captain Marvel and Marvel Family comics began to out sell Superman (and Action?) comics in the early 1940's, and then a Captain Marvel movie series in 1941: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033317/  So my guess is that they were tied in popularity in the 1940s! 

This is a well made video!  

Edited by SuperBat5000