• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A newbie shoot-out

26 posts in this topic

Bug, it certainly looks like shilling, doesn't it? I looked at that bid history (after having no action on the game all week) and thought instantly about all those shillers Rickdog points out. Of course, he never trusts a bid history -- you have to look into current bids, etc. -- but on the surface it looks crazy!

They've been going back and forth all day -- it's been fun to watch.

-- Joanna

Keep talkin' all comic-y like that. C'mon, you know you want to.

Err... "Zounds?" "Base villain, your moment of attrition is at hand?" "I SAY THEE 'NAY,' MISCREANT!" "BOOYA!" Wait, take that last one out of the quotes. I'm too lazy to hit the backspace.

I'm always suspicious of that type dynamic in an auctions bid history; and not necessarily a seller doing anything wrong, but rather a buyer trying to get his hands on the merch at a low price (bid to astronimical hieghts with one account, and a reasonable bid with another -- and the day before it ends, cancel the highest bid).

On a related note, I noticed in your description this was one of those games that kept you up late some nights. The graphics look amazing, so I can certainly see why. I'm not much of a gamer, but as a 3D animator, I do get inspired by some of the sequences compiled on fantasty games like you are offering on ebay. I picked-up a copy of Warcraft, which I was told to be an absolutely incredible game, and it was! The only thing is that I got totally turned off with using the keyboard... unfortunately Warcraft doesn't allow you to use gamepads or controllers. I don't even mind that its a single-player game, but I can't tell you how frustrating it was to find out after dropping the coin on the game that I could only use a keyboard. Does this game you are offering allow controllers?

I just gave bidding advice to one of my newbies. I taught him how to snipe. I couldn't help it -- he wrote me an email sounding scared that the other guy was going to win, and begging me to offer it to him if the other guy doesn't pay. So I gave him sniping lessons so he can win future auctions (I think he'll win this one without needing to snipe because he already told me how much his high bid is, and it's quite high. I doubt the other guy will meet it).

Is it wrong to coach bidders when you're pretty sure it won't impact the current auction? We were all that new once and it's such a frustrating thing to be sniped all the time until you figure out what's going on.

-- Joanna

"Is it wrong to coach bidders when you're pretty sure it won't impact the current auction? We were all that new once and it's such a frustrating thing to be sniped all the time until you figure out what's going on."

Come on.........tell the truth. You gave the other bidders on your auction the same advice.....didn't you?

The other didn't write to me. But if he wins, I'll let him know, too. I'm 99% sure the coaching won't affect the current auction (and if it does, it's to my detriment, since they've been going back and forth all day). The guy who wrote was just so earnest! I felt sorry for him.

-- Joanna

My initial reaction when I saw what was going on in the bidding was: Aw, isn't that cute.

Yes, me too! It was just so... newbie!

By the way, my earnest friend won it at $27.00. Prior to this, the highest the game had gone in past auctions was around $9.00. Earnest had a top bid of $40 on it, but other newbie finally gave up. There were other copies on ebay with no bids, listed at $5.00. One advantage of being a writer is that I write a good auction!

-- Joanna

I need to package it up so I can give him a shipping total. Why haven't I done it already? Because I've been too busy working on the Purple Priestess story in WW 25, that's why!

I forgot how darn much work these things were to do. But my new avatar is a sneak peak for ya, Pov. Note the chains: lots of bondage in this one. I also took a ton of scans (probably took my book down several grades doing it, but I don't care. Comics are for reading and sharing in my world).

-- Joanna