• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.6 looks like a 9.8
4 4

31 posts in this topic

I received 4 books back from CGC.  Three were grades of 9.6 and one was 9.8.  

However, the one I expected to be a 9.8 was 9.6 and the 9.8 looks more like a 9.6.  I went to the registry to find any notes and there are none available.

So my question for the community is should I crack and resubmit with certification number showing it was graded at a 9.6?  Or crack and just send in.

Roll of the dice if you do. There's negligible difference between the two grades and a book graded one way one day may come back a grade lower or higher the next day.

Case in point - I have a Wolverine 57 CGC 9.8. (Insignificant issue aside from my letter to the editor being printed therein.) It has a slight stacking crease in the upper left corner of the front cover. Acceptable in the 9.8 grade and evident even within the slab. I recently got a 9.6 of the same book. The 9.6 looks flawless. Go figure.

If the book is worth your time and money then resubmit it. Let CGC do the cracking and be prepared for a even lower grade instead of the 9.8 you're looking for.

Yeah it really all depends. If it's for your PC and you don't really care about the number and just want the comic protected for display, then no need to re-sub. If it's for re-sale, then you'll have to do a little math. I'd say if you're pretty certain it has a good chance at 9.8 if subbed again and the return jumps substantially for 9.8 versus 9.6, then it could be worth it to re-sub. No need to even crack it--just send it back (put in the Cert # when you fill out the form so CGC will know to wipe that entry once they crack the slab). That way it's better protected during shipping and CGC knows it's a re-sub. They'll crack the book themselves and have it regraded (the graders--in theory--will have no idea it has been subbed before so won't know what grade it previously was).

It's admittedly a bit of a crapshoot, but then so is 3rd party grading in general. As an example, I got a sub back recently, and the book I thought had the best chance of 9.8 got a 9.6. FMV for 9.8 is like 4-5x what it is in 9.6, and since I was planning on selling it anyway, I sent it back in. Full disclosure, though, this was kind of outlier for me--I don't really like the crack and re-slab game, but this was the first book that checked all the boxes for me where I was like 'ok, this is worth sending in again.' New grade still pending, but if you have the time and money and think your book has got a legit shot, you're more than justified in sending it back in. Hope this helps!

On 10/4/2023 at 7:54 AM, Waynekentcomics said:

I received 4 books back from CGC.  However, the one I expected to be a 9.8 was 9.6 and the 9.8 looks more like a 9.6.  I went to the registry to find any notes and there are none available.

So my question for the community is should I crack and resubmit with certification number showing it was graded at a 9.6?  Or crack and just send in.

If you're confident in your ability to distinguish between 9.6 and 9.8, then, in your opinion, CGC has misgraded not one but two books.  :ohnoez:  Hence, shouldn't your current options be (1) resubmit nothing, or (2) resubmit both the 9.6 and the 9.8?  (shrug)  hm

On 10/4/2023 at 4:08 PM, Gaard said:

If you decide to have them regraded, crack them yourself and DO NOT send in any certification number. Don't give them any info as to what they graded them before.

From my understanding, the graders never know what any book has been graded previously (if it had been), no? Would be a pretty terrible practice for the premier third party grading company for their graders to have any knowledge of the books they are grading beforehand (especially if CGC says they do not). Any insinuations to the contrary just seem like idle speculation in the absence of any hard evidence. All we really have to go on are what CGC says and anecdotes from others--and in regard to the latter, I'm pretty sure a good chunk of sig series slabs are sent in un-cracked and often come back with different grades (both better and worse).

Edited by Nsschenks

On 10/5/2023 at 3:13 AM, Gaard said:

Are you 100% certain of this? (not 75% or 90% ... 100% certain)

Of course not lol. I said 'from my understanding'. But you could argue both ways I think. Crack it yourself, it's less protected in shipping but they definitely won't know the grade; or don't, and you at least do your part to keep the census count more accurate and have a little more protection during shipping. I get why someone wouldn't send it back still slabbed, but the reasoning brushes a little too close to conspiracy theory for my taste. I don't really see any point to the graders knowing a grade before-hand, especially if they're already only spending 15 seconds on a book lol. What's an extra 10 seconds? One more dollar-bin-destined modern variant? TBH my biggest worry in sending a slabbed book back in would be that they mangle it cracking it out. But then again, they could certainly mangle it at any other points too, sooo (shrug) To each their own, I suppose!

On 10/6/2023 at 12:15 AM, Gaard said:

why?

Well brother, a normal submission usually goes through a process of being received, verified and given directly to the graders. Unless the process has dramatically changed, a re-grade or re-holder is often put into the safe until someone has the time to go through the process of cracking it out and re-grading it. Moreover, cracking a book out of the new holder is much more difficult (and time consuming) than simply taking it out of a bag. Depending on the circumstances, that "extra 10 seconds" can easily become an extra 10 minutes...  :gossip:

On 10/4/2023 at 5:09 PM, Nsschenks said:

From my understanding, the graders never know what any book has been graded previously (if it had been), no?

If a book is sent to CGC in the original holder, it follows that the person who inspects it (usually a grader) is going to see the label...  hm