• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.6 looks like a 9.8
4 4

31 posts in this topic

On 10/6/2023 at 7:27 PM, Andre T said:

Not to highjack the OPs thread, but I'm having similar concerns. Do you think I should send this one back in? The only things I see are a white dot on the cover top left blue banner, and a tick on the back top right. Not sure if those disqualify me for a 9.8.

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/4330637002/

Back cover has some very slight color rub. Near the spine. 9.6 is probably legit. 2c

On 10/6/2023 at 4:17 PM, The Lions Den said:

If a book is sent to CGC in the original holder, it follows that the person who inspects it (usually a grader) is going to see the label...  hm

But doesn't this make the assumption the grader is the person cracking it out? That seems...inefficient. I re-subbed one recently and it's been going through the same steps as a normal submission. Re-grading is the same as a normal submission, from what I've been lead to understand, while re-holdering is a completely different thing.

Why do you think the grader is the one who cracks the book? And if they aren't, why would they need to see the original label? I dunno, it just doesn't seem to me there is any real reason CGC would have for the grader either A.) cracking the book; or B.) needing to know the grade, which would kind of defeat the purpose of grading without any pre--conceived notion of what a book may have been graded before. 

On 10/6/2023 at 10:28 PM, Nsschenks said:

But doesn't this make the assumption the grader is the person cracking it out? That seems...inefficient

It does, doesn't it?

Why do you think the grader is the one who cracks the book?

Because things like that usually fall on the graders.

I dunno, it just doesn't seem to me there is any real reason CGC would have for the grader either A.) cracking the book; or B.) needing to know the grade, which would kind of defeat the purpose of grading without any pre--conceived notion of what a book may have been graded before. 

Oh, there's a reason... :bigsmile:

On 10/7/2023 at 5:36 AM, The Lions Den said:

It does, doesn't it?

Because things like that usually fall on the graders.

Oh, there's a reason... :bigsmile:

Sorry but this is all super vague and still not very convincing. How long ago did you work there? Also, even if you did, I'd imagine there's a good chance they made some big changes since Blackstone took over. Not saying none of what you say is true, but you aren't exactly providing any factual evidence to back it up, either.

I know that there are people who sent books back in the same slabs, have them cracked and re-graded without a press, and the book comes back with a different grade. If what you say is true, wouldn't CGC have zero incentive to change any grade?

Edited by Nsschenks

On 10/7/2023 at 11:34 PM, Nsschenks said:

Sorry but this is all super vague and still not very convincing. How long ago did you work there? Also, even if you did, I'd imagine there's a good chance they made some big changes since Blackstone took over. Not saying none of what you say is true, but you aren't exactly providing any factual evidence to back it up, either.

I know that there are people who sent books back in the same slabs, have them cracked and re-graded without a press, and the book comes back with a different grade. If what you say is true, wouldn't CGC have zero incentive to change any grade?

My goal is to provide insight into the process to help folks make more informed decisions. Good luck and have a great week...  (thumbsu 

On 10/8/2023 at 8:17 AM, The Lions Den said:

My goal is to provide insight into the process to help folks make more informed decisions. Good luck and have a great week...  (thumbsu 

Lol ok, but I'm not sure anyone could consider the answers you provided 'insight'. Would love a little more specificity if you're willing. But yeah, right now I really don't have anything to go on but your word and a few very vague responses.

Edited by Nsschenks

On 10/8/2023 at 12:51 PM, Nsschenks said:

Lol ok, but I'm not sure anyone could consider the answers you provided 'insight'. Would love a little more specificity if you're willing. But yeah, right now I really don't have anything to go on but your word and a few very vague responses.

From what I understand, there are differences between mechanical errors and re-grades. Mechanical errors are generally handled by a separate team and wouldn't be handled by the graders unless there appears to be damage to the book. But there could still be a significant wait because of the sheer number of ME's... :(

Regrades are still handled by the graders and would generally go through the process as a regular submission, but keep in mind CGC is an extremely busy place and this could take a bit of time as well.

I hope this helps, and good luck!