• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would You Buy This Slab?
1 1

20 posts in this topic

There is a book on Ebay that I am interested in. I would prefer to not state the title. Anyway, it is listed for a very cheap price, but the slab has some broken pieces. I have inserted some pictures below.

Fantastic Four Annual #4 - CGC 7.5 - Original Human Torch - 1966 - Cracked Case - Picture 4 of 10

Fantastic Four Annual #4 - CGC 7.5 - Original Human Torch - 1966 - Cracked Case - Picture 5 of 10

Fantastic Four Annual #4 - CGC 7.5 - Original Human Torch - 1966 - Cracked Case - Picture 6 of 10

Fantastic Four Annual #4 - CGC 7.5 - Original Human Torch - 1966 - Cracked Case - Picture 7 of 10

Fantastic Four Annual #4 - CGC 7.5 - Original Human Torch - 1966 - Cracked Case - Picture 8 of 10

I can buy this book for less than $90 + tax + $15 for shipping, but to re-holder it would cost $50 + shipping charges both ways. On the other hand, I can buy the same book in the same grade for $125 + tax + $14.90 shipping.

Now that I think about it, it seems that purchasing the $125 book would be the better deal financially. What do you think?

On 10/4/2023 at 3:25 PM, MattTheDuck said:

It's a little hard to say without comparing the appearance of the front cover of this book with the $125 copy, BUT there's also what I think of as a "hassle tax" if you have to have it reholdered in addition to the extra cost.  That slab has been abused - I suppose it's possible there's damage to the book you may not be able to see.  If the $125 book looks as good as this one, I'd say it's the clear choice.

^^^ Agree as well. 

Not just the cost and time waiting to reholder, but the additional risk of damage you are taking on by having to reholder it. 

Message the buyer with a super low ball offer.

Youll be surprised how often that will work out for you.

Just be polite with your words.

Use plenty of pleases and thank yous.

I usually start my messages off with an apology for reaching out...yadda yadda yadda.

Sellers eat that chit up.

FWIW I've been trying to sell an Eerie book with one teenie-tiny piece floating inside of it that I have disclosed, and I can't give it away. If you buy a damaged slab, I'd say you have two choices if you think that you will ever resell it: crack it out or send it off to be reholdered. It seems the group of people looking for cracked slabs is small, and they are looking for deep discounts.

I'll probably never buy another damaged slab again unless it's a hard-to-find GA book. SA and newer, I'll just wait for another one to turn up.

Well, since most people already know what book I am talking about, here are the links:

Fantastic Four Annual #4 - CGC 7.5 - $125
Grader Notes
light creasing to cover
light finger bends on cover
light scuffing to cover
light spine stress lines to cover
light wear all corners of cover

Fantastic Four Annual #4 (Nov 1966) Graded 7.5 OFF WHITE to WHITE Pages by CGC | eBay

Fantastic Four Annual #4 - CGC 7.5 - $84
Grader Notes
finger creases top of front cover breaks color
small crease right bottom of front cover breaks color
small, multiple bend top of back cover
Fantastic Four Annual #4 - CGC 7.5 - Original Human Torch - 1966 - Cracked Case | eBay

To complicate matters, there is the same book available from MyComicShop.com.
Fantastic Four Annual #4 - CGC 7.5 - $132.87 (on their website)
Grader Notes
foxing to cover
light staple rust
Fantastic Four Annual #4 CGC 7.5 1966 4115293011 | eBay

I actually like the looks of the one from MyComicShop, but I not too keen on staple rust.

So, what does everyone else think?

1. I wonder why this thread is in the "Newbie" section?

2. The comic might actually be cheap if it is still a 7.5 and you are happy to keep it in a cracked case but not cheap if you plan to re-submit it.

3. Are you sure that the damage to the case at the front hasn't damaged the comic?

one.thumb.jpg.6d022639a9c8731f52b49b44b4ae5ff3.jpg

On 10/6/2023 at 12:00 PM, themagicrobot said:

1. I wonder why this thread is in the "Newbie" section?

I didn't know where else to put it. I didn't think it was appropriate for the Comics Market - Forum Only Selling Area or the Silver Age Comic Books forum. What would be your suggestion as to where I should have posted it?

After careful consideration, I have decided to pass on all three of the books I listed above. I will keep looking for a CGC 7.5 or perhaps a CGC 8.0.

As to why I am looking for this particular book in this particular grade, I want to replace my early FF annuals with nicer copies. So, this is my plan:

FF Annual #1 - CGC 6.0
FF Annual #2 - CGC 6.5
FF Annual #3 - CGC 7.0
FF Annual #4 - CGC 7.5
FF Annual #5 - CGC 8.0
FF Annual #6 - CGC 8.0 or higher.

Yes, I am fully aware that I have OCD.

Would You Buy This Slab?

Nope. I agree w/MattTheDuck . 

On 10/4/2023 at 6:25 PM, MattTheDuck said:

It's a little hard to say without comparing the appearance of the front cover of this book with the $125 copy, BUT there's also what I think of as a "hassle tax" if you have to have it reholdered in addition to the extra cost.  That slab has been abused - I suppose it's possible there's damage to the book you may not be able to see.  If the $125 book looks as good as this one, I'd say it's the clear choice.

I wouldn't buy that slab either.

The Mycomicshop book does present the best, and if you buy direct from them it is cheaper than the Ebay listing.

My 2c Ultimately I think if your grading skills are excellent you could buy a raw book in nicer shape for less than the cost of the cgc slabbed one that you submit yourself for pressing/cleaning/grading. The book isn't rare. If you live in a location that has comic shows attend them and look for a nice copy of the book. If internet buying stick to VF+