• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM SW HttE1 I'm considering buying
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Hey all, new to the boards, I was looking at buying an ungraded comic online but I noticed in the photos there is a small defect/tear/crease on the front cover. It is otherwise in mint condition. What do you think this defect would lower the grade too if I bought it and submitted to CGC for grading? It is at the bottom of the comic next to the "V" in novel.

OZ6rPZv.jpg

VI4bfTq.jpg

Edited by x7neil
Images, title

To properly give an overall grade we need pics of the rear cover, inside front rear covers/splash page, and centerfold.

Hypothetically, if this book graded at a NM 9.4 or NM+ 9.6 without the tear, with the tear it will probably grade at a VF/NM 9.0 - NM- 9.2.

I found this while searching the site, posted by "The Lions Den" on 8/2019...

"If the tear is very small (1/8" or less) and the rest of the book is virtually perfect, the book could still receive a grade of 9.2. But if the tear is a little longer (say about 1/4 - 3/8 of an inch) it will nearly always knock the book out of the near mint range. And please bear in mind it's a very fine line between those measurements..."

I guess I would flip the question... what is the minimum grade that you need in order to buy? and how much?

The tear is a bummer.  I am think 9.0 / 9.2 with a 9.0 lean.

Looking on eBay under "star wars heir to the empire 1 cgc" and then going to the <Advanced> filter clicking on the <Sold> and <Completed Listing> options you kind of get a range.

If you can get the book for $20-$50 (or less), then sure.  

I guess the last question is... "Do you WANT the book OR do you WANT TO SELL the book"

I know this is probably obvious to this board.... it's just that I have this internal conversation with myself several times a week... including "if I buy this book at this price would my wife stab me..."

GoodLuck!