• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What contemporary artists do you forsee becoming legendary?

99 posts in this topic

One name: Travis Charest

Travis' work is great but he's too busy making wine to keep up his profile in comics. Has he even done anything (comic-wise) lately? I don't think he was enough exposure to go down as a legend.

One name: Travis Charest

Travis' work is great but he's too busy making wine to keep up his profile in comics. Has he even done anything (comic-wise) lately? I don't think he was enough exposure to go down as a legend.

Not that most people here will care, but he's still working on a Metabarons book with Jodorowsky yay.gif

What about Cary Nord. He seems to be developing a Frazetta like quality when given the time for a good composition. I would say watch him for the next couple of years.

What about Cary Nord. He seems to be developing a Frazetta like quality when given the time for a good composition. I would say watch him for the next couple of years.

Cary Nord and Kelley Jones are a couple of good picks. Kelley has just recently put out 13th Son, but I'd love to see more from him.

Well honestly there are too many to name and some have already been named here. Well Greg land(any of his cover art and pheonix endsong), Jae Lee( the sentry), Mark Brooks(Ultimate spider-man annual), Brian Hitch( authority,and both volumes of the ultimates), Ethan( new x-men covers and green lantern), Micheal Turner(anything he did or will do) Kent Williams ( if you don't understand I can't explain it), and Sam Kieth( the Maxx wolverine/hulk, Sandman). These guys were and are still great some of them are slow at turn out time but they are all great. There are other that should be considered legends if they aren't all ready and those are Jim Lee, Todd Mcfarlane, Alex Ross, and Eric Larsen. These last 4 I listed have an outstanding body of work that alone should put them in legends status.

Why is everyone wet over Greg Land? Sure the stuff he turns out looks good but the guy can't draw on his own. Everything (especially the stuff he gets recognized for) he does is lightboxed from magazines. He absolutely has to have reference if you ask him to draw something that he has not practiced a million times. He's more like a fancy xerox machine than an artist.

BTW, that info about lightboxing came directly from his art director at Crossgen.

As if my user ID doesn't give it away...

JAMES JEAN! This guy should become a legend...and not just for his work in comics. He's more than just a good comic artist, he's a fantastic artist that just happens to work in comics...

Same with my other two votes...Bill Sienkiewicz and John Totleben.

GOOD STUFF!

No J. Scott Campbell fans?

893censored-thumb.gif no, that guy is AWFUL. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Frankly, I think that very few of the artists mentioned in this thread are worthy of induction into the Comic Art Hall of Fame (if there were one). I mean, sure, Alex Ross, Jim Lee and Bill Sienkiewicz are shoo-ins (I'm speaking from an outside third party point of view, not just based on my personal preferences), but some of the other suggestions are just screwy.gif. Don't get me wrong, they are mostly good artists, but legendary/Hall of Fame caliber? David Finch? Solid artist, but since Marc Silvestri (very similar styles, IMO) doesn't get my HOF vote, neither would he. Glenn Fabry? You'd have to induct Earl Norem and Bob Larkin into the HOF way before that guy. Speaking of painters, the fascination with Simon Bisley continues to elude me completely. I've seen his religious paintings and his comic art and I just don't get it. Greg Land? Hey, I own 5 pieces of his artwork, but I have to admit that it bugs me that all of his female characters look exactly alike and the obvious magazine swipes annoy me to no end. Until he kicks that habit, he wouldn't get my HOF vote. Bryan Hitch and Michael Lark are two other artists known to be very photo-reference dependent - I like them both but it's way too soon to put them in the "legendary" category. How much top-quality work have they really produced to date?

Travis Charest? Great talent, but inducting him into the HOF would be like inducting a baseball player who had 2 good seasons and called it quits. Hardly anyone remembers his work anymore. Sam Kieth, Eduardo Risso, Eric Powell, Chris Bachalo, Frank Quitely? Unique styles, to be sure, but HOF material? Not in my book, at least not yet. Cary Nord? His pre-Conan work was surely not HOF material, but let's see what he can do in the future. Ethan van Sciver? Definitely a solid, if unspectacular, artist...if he continues to develop and build on his body of work over the next couple of decades, he could eventually get my HOF vote, but it's too soon to tell. I despise Todd McFarlane's art, but I would hold my nose and vote for him. No doubt he has been tremendously influential. John Cassaday? Has potential, but hasn't developed a large enough body of well-known work yet. Adam Hughes? Possibly, but only because his contemporaries have been so bad. I would have to demand that the Veterans Committee of the HOF induct Jose Gonzalez, and some of the other lesser known '70s talents who were far superior than AH in drawing beautiful women, first.

Like I said on Fabry, he really hasn't done a bunch of interior work, so putting him into a Hall of Fame, probably wouldn't be right. Now, I disagree on Bisley. He has had a serious amount of covers and interior work. Heavy metal is what comes to mind, as well as Lobo and Demon work. Since, I haven't seen any of his UK work, I can't really comment but everything, I have heard gives me the impression this guy is a definite candidate. What about Kelley Jones? What are your thoughts on his work?

Like I said on Fabry, he really hasn't done a bunch of interior work, so putting him into a Hall of Fame, probably wouldn't be right. Now, I disagree on Bisley. He has had a serious amount of covers and interior work. Heavy metal is what comes to mind, as well as Lobo and Demon work. Since, I haven't seen any of his UK work, I can't really comment but everything, I have heard gives me the impression this guy is a definite candidate.

SLAINE is awesome, awesome, awesome.

Travis Charest? Great talent, but inducting him into the HOF would be like inducting a baseball player who had 2 good seasons and called it quits. Hardly anyone remembers his work anymore.

Well, he did sell a painting on eBay for over $10,000 so someone remembers him.

Not that Charest is done for (he will eventually finish Dreamshifters and it WILL be one of the greatest comics ever produced) but Steranko had a similarly short/ spectacular comics career and no one would argue his HOF status (although I shouldn't say "no one" around here 27_laughing.gif)

Like I said on Fabry, he really hasn't done a bunch of interior work, so putting him into a Hall of Fame, probably wouldn't be right. Now, I disagree on Bisley. He has had a serious amount of covers and interior work. Heavy metal is what comes to mind, as well as Lobo and Demon work. Since, I haven't seen any of his UK work, I can't really comment but everything, I have heard gives me the impression this guy is a definite candidate. What about Kelley Jones? What are your thoughts on his work?

I love Kelley Jones' style.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece...at=0&UCat=0