• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What contemporary artists do you forsee becoming legendary?

99 posts in this topic

This has been a really good thread. It makes for great discussion.

At this point, I'm on the same page as Gene. I can't think of any artist that I'd put in the HOF. Certainly, I have a few in mind that I believe to have that potential. That list is as follows:

Alex Ross - I'd put him at the top by a wide margin. His work is amazing; there is no one with a better grasp of color/lighting right now (maybe even ever). He's the only comic artist I've ever heard get praise from non comic fans,

John Cassady - An outstanding artist that, at this point, doesn't have a large enough body to be considered. If he keeps it up, he'll go down as one of the great ones. I don't htink he'll transcend the mediums, but he can make an impact on it.

Eduardo Risso - I'm including him more on a bias, although his work is nothing short of spectacular. A more polished "Frank Miller circa DKR". His sense of shadow and perspective are bar none. I don't think that there is an artist that consistently captures the look and feel of their book than he does on 100 Bullets. In another thread, we've been giving props to Bendis/Bagley for closing in on Stan & Jack's record run on FF (most consecutive issues by the same team), and no one has mentioned Risso/Azzarello. When the series finishes, they will have been on the sam ebook for 100 issues; no small feat.

JG Jones - Last, but not least, I'm including Jeff. His pencil work is fantastic. His finish work is polished. As good as anyone today, but what sets him apart (ie. the reason he makes my list) is his awesome cover work. He's not Alex Ross, this is true, but he's the next best thing. I think he is far ahead of Greg Land as his covers are not as static. Great action, great concepts, very high quality. He amazes me on a monthly basis with his work on Y and Wonder Woman.

You think that McFarlane has anywhere near the admiration that he had back then? He's more scorned than praised these days. How about Liefield, Portacio, Larson and Valentino? Are they legends too?

I get it...you're all bent because of the 10 copies of each Image title you bought tanked on you. Get over it.

You want to talk about admiration from days gone by....Your heroes/legends from the past are just that...in the past. The stuff they all do these days blows...Neal Adams,John Byrne,Barry Smith,Richard Corben...whomever...they have all lost what they used to have.Everything John Byrne touches these days gets cancelled or sales drop like a rock....Neal Adams...that art in Giant Size X-men #3 was horrendous.

It was garbage then and it's garbage now.

If the people who you mention aren't producing work that equals their prime, that doesn't mean that the sh*theels of the 90s deserve recognition.

So do you actually collect original art and put your money where your mouth is?

Just for the record, I think the overall quality of art in books being published now is significantly better than at any other time in the history of American comics.

You know, when I looked at Gene's post intially, I took the part : that I don't think a lot of legends will arise from this era. and regretably ignored the first part. My bad. I agree with Rob that today's artists are leaps and bounds ahead of artists from the 40-70s with some notable exclusions. Colan, Steranko, Adams,Infantino, Wrightson, Craig, Romita Sr, Frazetta and maybe Kane and Swan would fit right in with today's artists. - It goes back to the sport analogy....are todays athletes better than yesteryear....of course they are....this is the same theory.

I think what needs to be considered when one talks of legends is not only their own indivual body of work, but how many artists they influenced. Kirby, Ditko, McFarlane, Miller, Byrne, and a few others weren't/aren't incredible artists, but what they contributed and who they've influenced.

If the Beatles came out today, would they have the same impact. I don't think so. While they were tremendous song writers, they really weren't the best singers. They came into the scene at the right time, played by their own rules and were groundbreaking in their own way.

I look at Jack Kirby and to a lesser extent, Ditko. Let's face it, they weren't the best artists, but they were so important to it's history and influenced just about everyone that came after them....so they are legends.

Sometimes it's someone's potiental that makes them a legend. Look at James Dean. He did 4 movies, yet to this d ay his short body of work is admired and he's one of those "what could have been "........I think Travis is in the catergory. His potential is limitless and we have to see if he lives up to it.

As for being set in my ways and not giving the new stuff a chance, considering I pick up more new titles than most people on this Board and collect modern OA, I hardly think that has any basis in fact.

I feel that the quality of artwork being published today is, as a whole, very poor

Which one is it ?

As for being set in my ways and not giving the new stuff a chance, considering I pick up more new titles than most people on this Board and collect modern OA, I hardly think that has any basis in fact.

I feel that the quality of artwork being published today is, as a whole, very poor

Which one is it ?

No contradiction here...I buy new comics and artwork because the stories and characters (well, at least up until the past year or two) have been pretty good. And, of course, I am selective in my purchases of modern OA, though I do buy it unlike many OA collectors. Like I said, *as a whole", I think the quality of artwork being published today is very poor. Not only are there very few standouts, but flipping through a bunch of titles on the racks every week, I find the artwork to be generally uninspiring. I think the bar to become a published comic artist is not set very high at the moment.

As far as I'm concerned, Brian Bolland, Bill Sienkiewicz, John Byrne and those other obvious legends who started in the 1970s and 1980s who are still working today are already in the HOF (I'd throw in Alex Ross too, even though his career has been shorter). It's tough to find good candidates from the group whose careers have taken off in the past 10 years, though.

Here's one name that's been overlooked in this thread (though certainly not by fans and OA collectors): Frank Cho. At the moment, I think his hype has far outpaced both his talent and his oeuvre (i.e., I think he's overrated), but if he can keep turning out fan-favorite projects for a good time to come, he is probably a better candidate for "HOF" status than most of the contemporary artists who have been named so far.

So do you actually collect original art and put your money where your mouth is?

Yeah,I put my money where my mouth is...

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=3976

It's not a Bill Woo collection,but I like it!

I'm just saying a couple of you guys rip the new talent like there will never ever be another Neal Adams or Berni Wrightson.I'm sorry you can't get over that their heyday has come and gone.Give some respect to these new guys.Hell,all of these new artists give props to the big guns from the '70's.If you can't appreciate the current talent,then that's your loss.Plenty of people on here like it.

Go read a Creepy magazine Redondo Boy!

And if anyones wants to see some really HOP artists please check out this guys art collection.

Insanity

There are a few artists I like today but very few of them can hold a candle to those represented in this gallery. hail.gif(worship)(worship)

Andrew

Nah, you don't do that collection justice, it should be ;

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Alex Ross - Already mentioned many times in this thread. My favorite mainstream comic book painter.

Mike Mignola - His Hellboy universe is only gonna get more popular with each movie.

Dan Clowes - Eightball continues to elevate the comic book into the areas of fine art and literature.

Ivan Brunetti & Johnny Ryan - These 2 new kings of lowbrow underground comics make Robert Crumb look like Mr. Rogers. Brunetti's book of gag panels ("Haw!") was one of the sickest and funniest things I've ever read. Ryan's Angry Youth Comix (as well as his weekly parody strips on his web site) are always twisted and hilarious. I think these two are taking underground comix to the next level.

Adrian Tomine - His Optic Nerve comic is so down to earth and real you feel like you're peering into someone else's life.

Chris Ware - The skill he has at making cut-out toy diagrams and innovations in narrative panel structure (see Jimmy Corrigan) have already earned him a spot in museum and gallery shows. In terms of pushing the envelope as far as what sequential art is capable of, I see him as a modern Eisner or Steranko.

Bruce Timm - Responsible for a revolution in super hero animation.

Los Bros Hernandez - In the future, their works will be seen as masterpieces of graphic storytelling on par with Art Speigelman and Alan Moore.