• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Page ripped from interior but still present. How is that treated?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I'm wondering how CGC grades a book where an interior page is detached (from a rip), but still present in the book. Technically the book would be complete in the slab with no pages missing, but no longer attached to the rest of the book. Say the book is a 6-7ish, would it be still treated as incomplete and get a qualified grade? or would it be treated as a book length tear and the grade would be knocked down? Should I consider getting it professionally reattached and get a restored grade?  Thanks for any insight!

The book is complete.  Prior to mid-2022, the CGC label would include the notation, "Page x detached."  However, these days, CGC no longer notes detachment defects on its labels:cry:  Books with detached pages that are otherwise low or mid grade (say 4.5 or lower, aside from the detachment defect) should be awarded a Universal Grade and be encapsulated with a Blue Label.   Books with detached pages that are otherwise mid to high grade (say 5.0 or higher, aside from the detachment defect) may be awarded a Qualified Grade and be encapsulated with a Green Label.  A submitter may request that his/her book(s) only be awarded Universal Grade(s).  Now, onto the examples:

PD-40a.thumb.jpg.375de2c0ad49103eed7b401e4f22fa91.jpg PD-40b.thumb.jpg.2d2587f65cc7f587fd29e3ed6217c822.jpg PD-Q65a.thumb.jpg.454b9a87a62eb3ea98483731b4a6f256.jpg PD-Q65b.thumb.jpg.226243cc69774893d0faae7a52290c74.jpg

On 10/9/2023 at 6:59 AM, ThothAmon said:

Do the tears line up to indicate the loose page is definitely original to that copy? If the torn page turns out to be married you will get a purple Green label. 

Fixed that for you.

Every comic I've ever seen with married pages, wraps or covers, has gotten a Green label.

Edited by gadzukes

On 10/9/2023 at 3:43 PM, zzutak said:

The book is complete.  Prior to mid-2022, the CGC label would include the notation, "Page x detached."  However, these days, CGC no longer notes detachment defects on its labels:cry:  Books with detached pages that are otherwise low or mid grade (say 4.5 or lower, aside from the detachment defect) should be awarded a Universal Grade and be encapsulated with a Blue Label.   Books with detached pages that are otherwise mid to high grade (say 5.0 or higher, aside from the detachment defect) may be awarded a Qualified Grade and be encapsulated with a Green Label.  A submitter may request that his/her book(s) only be awarded Universal Grade(s).  Now, onto the examples:

PD-40a.thumb.jpg.375de2c0ad49103eed7b401e4f22fa91.jpg PD-40b.thumb.jpg.2d2587f65cc7f587fd29e3ed6217c822.jpg PD-Q65a.thumb.jpg.454b9a87a62eb3ea98483731b4a6f256.jpg PD-Q65b.thumb.jpg.226243cc69774893d0faae7a52290c74.jpg

Thanks for the explanation and images. very clear and more interesting than I thought it would be. I guess if you wanted to stick with a blue label, you'd have to take the hit to the grade for the book length tear. Seems fair, although 4.0 doesn't seem so bad for that. Almost tempted to seek these books out for a nicely presenting copy that's a lot cheaper :)

On 10/9/2023 at 6:59 PM, ThothAmon said:

Do the tears line up to indicate the loose page is definitely original to that copy? If the torn page turns out to be married you will get a purple label. 

They do line up, but it did get me thinking what would happen if it wasn't so clear, or if a page was cut neatly with a razor so there was no proof to which book it belonged. I guess the purple label would be for if I got a restorer to stick them back together with leaf casting or something.

On 10/9/2023 at 1:38 PM, ostanni said:

Thanks for the explanation and images. very clear and more interesting than I thought it would be. I guess if you wanted to stick with a blue label, you'd have to take the hit to the grade for the book length tear. Seems fair, although 4.0 doesn't seem so bad for that. Almost tempted to seek these books out for a nicely presenting copy that's a lot cheaper :)

Please bear in mind that the cover of the book and the interior pages are treated differently with respect to grading the overall condition. For instance, if the cover had a book length tear (or spine split) the grade would be impacted more severely, and it wouldn't be eligible for a Qualified grade. 

On 10/9/2023 at 1:41 PM, ostanni said:

They do line up, but it did get me thinking what would happen if it wasn't so clear, or if a page was cut neatly with a razor so there was no proof to which book it belonged. I guess the purple label would be for if I got a restorer to stick them back together with leaf casting or something.

Better to just keep it the way it is, IMO...