• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The unknown consequences of pressing

6 posts in this topic

I know everybody and their brother seems to think pressing is the new norm except for me its not .I have tried to press something that is pretty wavy but not to try and go from say a 9.0 to a 9.6 or 9.8 I know it seems cool and its all about the money you can make . My question is what will be the real consequences if any say 40 to 50 years from the day it was pressed ? The unknown damage if any ? Thanks ! 

On 10/10/2023 at 8:02 AM, joeypost said:

For some the consequences are immediate. Burnt books, color loss due to improper dry cleaning or too much humidity, specking, pebbling and worse. 

I have books in my personal collection that I pressed back in 2004/5 that still look the same as the day they were pressed. Cannot for a certainty say what’s happening to them in the slab, but from a sheer visual point of view I don’t see any changes. 

Joey, didn't you do a break test on some pressed books way back when?  Am I misremembering that?

On 10/10/2023 at 12:07 PM, buttock said:

Joey, didn't you do a break test on some pressed books way back when?  Am I misremembering that?

We did. The half that was pressed actually had more hydrogen bonds and the pages were more supple compared to the non-pressed half. 

I want to say Mike actually took care of the logistics while I provided the sample for testing. 

On 10/10/2023 at 1:09 PM, joeypost said:

We did. The half that was pressed actually had more hydrogen bonds and the pages were more supple compared to the non-pressed half. 

I want to say Mike actually took care of the logistics while I provided the sample for testing. 

Thanks, and to clarify this included humidification for the pressed books and not for the unpressed?