• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ideal Humidity Poll
1 1

Ideal Humidity Poll  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think the "Ideal RH (Relative Humidity)" is for storing both raw books and slabbed books?

• 35-40%
    • 40-45%
    • 45-50%
    • 55-60%
    • Anywhere between 40-60%

4 posts in this topic

I noticed what I thought was a humidity issue affecting some of my slabbed books (Read Here), I'm not so certain it is anymore, but it made me look at how I'm storing my books and if I'm storing and displaying them the best way possible. It was mentioned in the aforementioned thread that the Library of Congress recommends storing your books at 35% RH (relative humidity) (Read Here). I've also seen the American Library Association recommend between 30-40% RH (Read Here). BUT... I've also seen multiple posts on here where users recommend 40-50% RH, and acknowledge storing their own books around 50% RH. AND... CGC's own "The Official Guide to Grading Comics" says "the ideal humidity level is between 45 to 60 percent".  So that's a lot of different opinions ranging from 30% on the low end all the way up to 60%. Each source also mentions that a "stable environment", even if not "ideal", is far more beneficial than an "ideal environment". In an effort to make sure I'm storing my books properly I don't want to end up using methods that cause too many fluctuations (a dehumidifier kicking on and off as RH rises and falls) or dries the books out to much (silica gel packs and mini dehumidifiers (See Here) in the boxes themselves) when leaving them at an RH% that my central A/C natural creates inside my home is ideal enough. 

So my question(s) to everyone is;

What RH do store your books at?

What do you believe is the ideal RH to store your books at?

And finally, how do you control the RH where you store your books (i.e. dehumidifier, silica gel packs, mini dehumidifiers, dry cabinets, just inside an A/C'd part of my house)? 

Thanks!  

Although the Library Of Congress states approx. 35% RH is recommended, that is not always possible for normal collectors who keep their books in their home, most homes have the temp set anywhere from 68-72 degrees (+/- year round) with humidity being whatever is in the air that day.(Depends where you live and what type of heat you use, Natural Gas is very dry), it is not feasible for most collectors to have a complete environmentally controlled area to store their books.

I do not use a dehumidifier so my books, although stored properly in Mylites/Acid Free Boards away from all UV, heat sources (no temperature extremes), moisture, etc., humidity is not really something I can control, sometimes the windows are open, sometimes the heat is on, sometimes the A/C is on, my books go through a constant change in temps/humidity depending on the season and ambient temps.

Right now at 10:45 AM in New Jersey, my windows are open, temp outside is 64 degrees and the RH is 55%, it is going to rain this weekend, windows will be closed, no heat/AC on and RH will be higher.

Library Of Congress - Store comic books in a clean storage area where temperature and relative humidity (RH) are moderate and stable: 68°F or less, and between 30 and 40% RH. Moisture and temperature speed decay. Low humidity can crack, peel, or curl pages. Avoid attics and basements and provide good air circulation.

I have two dehumidifiers in my lower level, both set at 50%, one in my comic room and one in my hallway. My lower level maintains a far more consistent temperature, plus I live in Montana - so I have the benefit of not always being humid.