• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The New Image Comics or the New Crossgen Ghost Machine
2 2

13 posts in this topic

On 10/13/2023 at 5:37 AM, Cat said:

I'm in. 

Likewise.  I tend to follow the creators wherever their work is published, especially someone like Johns.

I read a lot of Image-published material anyway.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 10/12/2023 at 10:56 PM, fastballspecial said:

Man....I'm super excited for the new Ghost Machine titles, BUT I am bummed if he is really leaving DC. His recent Stargirl series and current Justice Society series are the best things I've read from DC in a long while. Really wanted to see him continue that narrative with Justice Society and now Young Justice Society, and really wanted to see more of Justice Society Dark. His New Golden Age initiative has been hitting hard for me. I am super skeptical of anyone else being able to have the vision and storytelling ability to continue what he began. Was also really hoping for a return of the Retro-boot Legion of Super-Heroes, which some of his images seemed to hint at. 

On 10/14/2023 at 4:29 PM, BCoffee said:

Man....I'm super excited for the new Ghost Machine titles, BUT I am bummed if he is really leaving DC. His recent Stargirl series and current Justice Society series are the best things I've read from DC in a long while. Really wanted to see him continue that narrative with Justice Society and now Young Justice Society, and really wanted to see more of Justice Society Dark. His New Golden Age initiative has been hitting hard for me. I am super skeptical of anyone else being able to have the vision and storytelling ability to continue what he began. Was also really hoping for a return of the Retro-boot Legion of Super-Heroes, which some of his images seemed to hint at. 

If you haven't read his original JSA series go back and read it. Its fantastic.

How has Geiger been and is it worth hunting down the first series? Why did they stop the first series and then make some mini-series with Junkyard Joe and then now we are getting this larger shared universe.

Does the main first series just introduce the main character and junkyard Joe as the main characters?

Edited by captainzombie

On 10/15/2023 at 6:58 PM, captainzombie said:

How has Geiger been and is it worth hunting down the first series? Why did they stop the first series and then make some mini-series with Junkyard Joe and then now we are getting this larger shared universe.

Does the main first series just introduce the main character and junkyard Joe as the main characters?

Geiger was just okay, IMO.  The Gary Frank art was fantastic, of course, but the story/plot seemed kind of basic.  However, it did some really fun world building and definitely hinted to a much more interesting world and timeline that led directly into Junkyard Joe and his other, upcoming books.  I haven't read Junkyard Joe yet to see how well it all blends together, though.

So to me, the series felt more like an introduction to the world Johns is setting up rather than the lynchpin of it.  As I recall, he left it pretty open so he can come back to that story if he wants, but it's perfectly fine as its own, complete thing if he doesn't.

On 10/15/2023 at 5:58 PM, captainzombie said:

I agree with Gonzimodo's response above. Geiger and Junkyard Joe were both ok. Not my favorite of John's work, but still good and worth reading. The art is obviously stunning. I would think they are just slowly building the characters and I have hope for what may come out of this shared world, especially with the rest of the creative team for Ghost Machine that they have now signed on. I would recommend grabbing the trades for both since they are pretty cheap. I would also highly recommend getting the Geiger 80-page special, and reading that in between the Geiger and Junkyard Joe trades. It has a cool introduction to the Redcoat character that Geoff Johns and Bryan Hitch are doing which was very intriguing.

On 10/16/2023 at 12:09 PM, Gonzimodo said:

Geiger was just okay, IMO.  The Gary Frank art was fantastic, of course, but the story/plot seemed kind of basic.  However, it did some really fun world building and definitely hinted to a much more interesting world and timeline that led directly into Junkyard Joe and his other, upcoming books.  I haven't read Junkyard Joe yet to see how well it all blends together, though.

So to me, the series felt more like an introduction to the world Johns is setting up rather than the lynchpin of it.  As I recall, he left it pretty open so he can come back to that story if he wants, but it's perfectly fine as its own, complete thing if he doesn't.

On 10/16/2023 at 9:26 PM, BCoffee said:

I agree with Gonzimodo's response above. Geiger and Junkyard Joe were both ok. Not my favorite of John's work, but still good and worth reading. The art is obviously stunning. I would think they are just slowly building the characters and I have hope for what may come out of this shared world, especially with the rest of the creative team for Ghost Machine that they have now signed on. I would recommend grabbing the trades for both since they are pretty cheap. I would also highly recommend getting the Geiger 80-page special, and reading that in between the Geiger and Junkyard Joe trades. It has a cool introduction to the Redcoat character that Geoff Johns and Bryan Hitch are doing which was very intriguing.

Thank you guys for your thoughts and opinions on Geiger. I'll take a look into the trades to see how the story is. I found it crazy too that they had announced an animated series for this when there are only 6 books in the original series and then how many came out with Junkyard Joe.