• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it worth restoration?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member to the CGC and just learning about grading and restoration.  Most of my comics I've had since a was very young and a few I'm now purchasing to fill in some gaps or replace some that I unknowingly devalued. I have 1st appearance of the Rhino in The Incredible Hulk - #104 with writing on the cover and damage from tape sticking on the cover. Aside from the cover issues, everything else appears in good condition.  I'm thinking of sending it in for restoration on the cover, I have no idea of the cost to do this and I'm wondering if it's worth it? I had hoped to get it graded one day with a few others I have, but wasn't sure if I should include this one due to the damage.   I held on to the cover piece that was damaged from tape, not sure if it's of any use. I truly appreciate any help. 

Thank you. 

Ken

IMG_0688.jpeg

IMG_0689.jpeg

IMG_0690.jpeg

IMG_0693.jpeg

IMG_0692.jpeg

I wouldn't get it restored. 

The cost of resto would likely exceed the value of the book.  And when your done with Resto it would be worth far less than if you left it as is.

The 3/18 is a date stamp from the store when it was originally sold.  I wouldn't try to remove it personally, it's part of the books history. 

It's a petty book and I've always loved these SA Hulk comics. Great use of colors that really pop on our issue.. but, it likely isn't worth grading from a value perspective. Your best bet may be to bag, board and enjoy it as is. 

The 3/18 date marking is cool.  I'm sure there is someone out there who was born on March 18, 1968 who would love to have this one.

I like date stamps, store stamps, 3 hole punches, unverified sigs on the splash page ... the kinds of defects that aren't really defects when they are considered in context.

Thanks so much for the great advice. I've never thought of all the little defects as not defects, they add character and shows history.  Even the books I wrote on as a kid, brings back some enjoyable life memories the moment I see them. The damage to the cover from tape was on me, and is why I'm no longer using regular tape on my bags anymore.  Thanks for all the great advice! Board, bag and enjoy is what I will do. 

I agree with everyone's previous comments. If you like the cover and want to have a graded copy to display, I'd recommend buying one already graded to save you the hassle of finding a raw, sending it in, etc - and keep your sentimental copy in a bag/board for yourself.

Thanks everyone, I'm a Huge Hulk and Rhino fan and I also have the ASM 41, and it shows all the years I've enjoyed it too.  Getting graded copies and avoiding the hassles is a great idea, especially because I enjoy displaying them with beautiful statues I have.   All great advice.  Thanks again

IMG_0345.thumb.jpeg.94ec33922ba28d9c4b04961137eff947.jpegIMG_0344.thumb.jpeg.a325f142c7f8894731b78e3384888233.jpegIMG_0700.thumb.jpeg.df27f7390cdf3edc5d021090d6ee350f.jpeg

Edited by Ken Heilman

On 10/18/2023 at 6:16 PM, Ken Heilman said:

Thanks everyone, I'm a Huge Hulk and Rhino fan and I also have the ASM 41, and it shows all the years I've enjoyed it too.  Getting graded copies and avoiding the hassles is a great idea, especially because I enjoy displaying them with beautiful statues I have.   All great advice.  Thanks again

IMG_0345.thumb.jpeg.94ec33922ba28d9c4b04961137eff947.jpegIMG_0344.thumb.jpeg.a325f142c7f8894731b78e3384888233.jpegIMG_0700.thumb.jpeg.df27f7390cdf3edc5d021090d6ee350f.jpeg

Awesome display! I love it

Welcome to the boards! Your Hulk 104 is worth maybe $35 in that condition, so not worth the cost of grading, but I'll say one thing: If you're going to do a tape pull on a Hulk 104, you've chosen the best possible place to do it. It barely shows! No tape or adhesive strips on any of my bags! A lesson learned a long time ago. Besides, it keeps em ready to read!

Ha, you are so right,  I actually didn't even know I did a tape pull until a little later when I saw a piece of the cover on the tape.  I have since ordered self sealing bags.    And thank you.  Pairing my statues with my favorite comics is a passion of mine, brings the comic to life, somewhat. 

On 10/16/2023 at 11:22 PM, Ken Heilman said:

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member to the CGC and just learning about grading and restoration.  Most of my comics I've had since a was very young and a few I'm now purchasing to fill in some gaps or replace some that I unknowingly devalued. I have 1st appearance of the Rhino in The Incredible Hulk - #104 with writing on the cover and damage from tape sticking on the cover. Aside from the cover issues, everything else appears in good condition.  I'm thinking of sending it in for restoration on the cover, I have no idea of the cost to do this and I'm wondering if it's worth it? I had hoped to get it graded one day with a few others I have, but wasn't sure if I should include this one due to the damage.   I held on to the cover piece that was damaged from tape, not sure if it's of any use. I truly appreciate any help. 

Thank you. 

Ken

IMG_0688.jpeg

IMG_0689.jpeg

IMG_0690.jpeg

IMG_0693.jpeg

IMG_0692.jpeg

Maybe that the art have to restored... wtf with the legs of the hulk?:tonofbricks: