• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Helping run a fundraiser event for a friend to raise money for the homeless and looking for advice on running a sales thread.
5 5

48 posts in this topic

Looking to crowdfund some advice on running a fundraiser.

I know this has been a great community over the years to help out boardies in a jam. 

I've personally always been involved in some sort of social work. Over the last couple of years, I've been helping a friend run their charity event fundraiser. 

7 years ago, my friend started Midnight Wonderland, which is a musical event held to raise funds in support of The Midnight Mission in Los Angeles. 

https://www.midnightmission.org/

MidnightMission.thumb.png.d98e8fd9c42b9f6d21ed5f886ac8b6b1.png

Edited by VintageComics

This is a description of the event from the promo sheet. 

From its beginnings as a small backyard gathering of family and friends in December of
2016, Midnight Wonderland has grown to occupy the stage of the world-famous Whisky
A Go Go. Our partnership with The Whisky, Creative Director Charlie Paulson of
Goldfinger, and artists from bands like Green Day, Orgy, Circle Jerks/Bad Religion,
Save Ferris, Ministry, Stone Sour, LA Guns, and Fast Times Band were able to raise
thousands of dollars for The Midnight Mission to increase awareness for homelessness,
addiction, and a better understanding of Mental Illness as a whole.

Our goal: Midnight Wonderland’s goal is to empower The Midnight Mission’s efforts to
provide awareness, education, and an understanding of the growing problems of the
unhoused in DTLA and surrounding communities. Their mission is to provide a path to
self-sufficiency for individuals and families who have lost direction.

Midnight Wonderland facilitates this by uniting the universal languages of music and art
with awareness and understanding of why addiction, depression, and homelessness are
so prevalent in the United States. We intend to break barriers and erase stigmas by
connecting those feeling alone in their darkest moments by showing them the path to a
bright and inclusive future.

How we do this:
-20% of ticket sales go directly to The Midnight Mission.
-100% of proceeds from raffle sales go to The Midnight Mission.
- A collection of high-need items, such as water, biodegradable silverware, dinnerware,
and other physical donations, will be collected throughout the night and shipped to the
mission after the event.

Join Us:
December 12, 2023
7th Annual Midnight Wonderland Event 
Whisky a Go Go 
8901 West Sunset Blvd.
West Hollywood, CA, 90069
8 pm

Edited by VintageComics

Some final details:

Up until this year all operating costs have been out of pocket. 

Last year we had musicians from amazing bands like Goldfinger, Ministry, Green Day and Saving Ferris performing. 

This year we're working potentially on some even bigger names. I can't name names right now, but we are in talks with musicians who are near the top of the feeding chain.

For the sake of transparency, NONE of the talent or help was paid to perform last year. They all volunteered their time freely and we plan to do the same this year so that we can keep operating costs down and send as much support to The Midnight Mission as possible.

-----------------------------------------------

We are looking to expand the event greatly this year. We're currently working on securing sponsors and additional new revenue streams which is why I'm looking to start a donation thread here for her.

A small percentage of the funds collected would go toward operating costs of the event so that we can make the event larger and more successful than the previous 6 years, but the majority of the funds collected would go directly to The Midnight Mission. 

My friend is a very well known, respected person in the community where the event is taking place and if anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them either here or via PM.

The Midnight Mission staff will also be in attendance at the event. 

You can follow Midnight Wonderland on IG at 

https://www.instagram.com/midnightwonderland_/

MidnightWonderlandlogosmall.png.6cf32a27dc7a570c7cc37bdd30f68f48.png

Edited by VintageComics

I'm looking to draw on people's experiences to see what works and what doesn't to try to avoid common pitfalls and streamline the experience.

The plan is to ask boardies for comic donations and collect proceeds from the sales for the event. In turn, she would forward all proceeds directly to Midnight Mission.

You can also donate funds or goods directly to the Midnight Mission if you prefer. They can offer you a tax deductible receipt for all donations, whether cash or physical donations.

These are some of the questions that have come to mind so far:

1) I was thinking of running either a 'fixed price' sale or an auction style format. Is there an advantage / disadvantage to each?

2) I envision this being a total mess if lots of people get involved. lol

How do you prefer to organize all the sellers / comics being offered in your sales thread? 

3) Is there a preferred time period to run the fundraiser thread for? The event is on 12/12/23

4) Any other suggestions or things I may have not through about?

Thanks for reading! 

Fixed price is so much simpler than anything else.  I prefer buying and selling that way just to keep life easier.

Looking forward to it.  I'll buy a book.

Thanks for doing this. Mental illness and homelessness are very tightly coupled. I think of them as essentially the same thing.

My cousin died in a tent in L.A. this year.  A hardcore homeless alcoholic, but really it was bipolar disorder. 

On 10/16/2023 at 9:55 PM, VintageComics said:

These are some of the questions that have come to mind so far:

1) I was thinking of running either a 'fixed price' sale or an auction style format. Is there an advantage / disadvantage to each?

2) I envision this being a total mess if lots of people get involved. lol

How do you prefer to organize all the sellers / comics being offered in your sales thread? 

3) Is there a preferred time period to run the fundraiser thread for? The event is on 12/12/23

1. Fixed Price; if you are going to use the forums it is what has worked best in the past. Forums generally are not set-up for auction style listings without a ton of involvement.

2. All books donated are first presented to you via DM. Then you post the book in the thread, once claimed the payment is done via the donation website, the receipt is copied to you to verify, and then the person who donated the book mails it to the new owner.

3. I believe anytime is alright; You could start on a Monday afternoon posting donations for sale everyday with bigger ticket items showcased (in the first post) and then put up on certain days to bring additional traffic.

On 10/17/2023 at 12:05 AM, Turnando said:

Thanks for doing this. Mental illness and homelessness are very tightly coupled. I think of them as essentially the same thing.

My cousin died in a tent in L.A. this year.  A hardcore homeless alcoholic, but really it was bipolar disorder. 

I'm so sorry to hear about your cousin. 

My family has a history of mental illness so I've always been involved in some way. I have a sibling who committed suicide and another who attempted it. I have another sibling who lives on the streets for over a decade now (yes, that's 3 siblings) by choice, so none of this is new to me. Growing up, several females on my mom's side of the family experienced mental illness and one died in her sleep from excessive weight gain from anti-depressants. 

LA is in really rough shape these days. People who haven't experienced the homelessness going on there have no clue how bad it is. It's quite literally horrific although now those tent cities have spread to all areas of North America. A decade ago we were just reading about them in LA. Now these encampments are literally everywhere. Even in our little small town in Canada. 

Thank you! 

On 10/17/2023 at 12:05 AM, Turnando said:

Fixed price is so much simpler than anything else.  I prefer buying and selling that way just to keep life easier.

I prefer one and done as well but wanted to hear people's thoughts. 

On 10/17/2023 at 12:38 AM, DougC said:

1. Fixed Price; if you are going to use the forums it is what has worked best in the past. Forums generally are not set-up for auction style listings without a ton of involvement.

2. All books donated are first presented to you via DM. Then you post the book in the thread, once claimed the payment is done via the donation website, the receipt is copied to you to verify, and then the person who donated the book mails it to the new owner.

3. I believe anytime is alright; You could start on a Monday afternoon posting donations for sale everyday with bigger ticket items showcased (in the first post) and then put up on certain days to bring additional traffic.

All great suggestions. I hadn't yet thought about how I was going to do #2 so that's perfect. 

On 10/16/2023 at 11:41 PM, VintageComics said:

All great suggestions. I hadn't yet thought about how I was going to do #2 so that's perfect. 

I completely stole that from how the last couple of charity threads (and Xmas threads) were done... I am just an idea thief, lol.

On 10/17/2023 at 12:56 AM, DougC said:

I completely stole that from how the last couple of charity threads (and Xmas threads) were done... I am just an idea thief, lol.

Everyone is an idea thief. There's nothing new under the sun. :wink:

On 10/17/2023 at 1:59 AM, Galen130 said:

@skypinkblu any ideas or advice for the OP?  You ran a great thread awhile back…thought you might be able to help. 🙂🙂

I really only work with boarders or families of boarders when someone was deceased and it has to be someone I knew or people who I knew well recommended. There were a few incidents years ago where people were trying to take advantage of the kindness of the board members here, so I'm super super careful now about getting involved. Money either went directly to the person's PP account, or to a verified GoFundme (we started these before GoFundme existed). The only auction type thread that was set up that I can remember, was the first one, when Nik passed away and I had a ton of help with that one otherwise it would have been impossible.

A few times when there was something earth shattering, I just donated items myself and if someone else wanted to post items they did, I think the last time was when Ukraine was invaded. The money went directly to the World Soup Kitchen, a top rated charity. Time before that might have been the Hurricane in Louisiana.

One thing I'd always recommend is keeping a spread sheet. I use Google docs and share it with the person who is getting the funds and any helpers I have. I keep it, so if there are any questions or problems, I always have it available.

I think I've only done one, the last one for DJPinkpanther, alone. I've always wanted other eyes on what was going on and that one was shared with Thomas's wife.

Edited by skypinkblu

Put @Buzzettain charge of it. He will chase all the money you need; anything he can do to make it so his daily nightmare of actually having to be in a world with people that either don’t have homes or have nothing in particular to do and like to hang out all day are removed from his eyesight and city for that matter.

But seriously, I serve on a state-wide food bank board and have for 15 years or so, and we have sunk a ton of time and research on how to raise money. Sometimes the best thing to do is look at it from another perspective. You were talking about a single event in which you sell tickets, get sponsorships, etc. for a night of what sounds like really good music. We have a couple big events spread out through the year, but for the past seven or eight years, we have been doing direct, mailing marketing, and you will mess yourself when you realize how much more money you can raise on a year-round basis, if people will just sign up to give 10, 25, or $50 a month, it’s super easy to hook up to a bank account, Venmo, PayPal, etc., the donor has the option to pick up the fees that go along with it, so, for example, if you make a $25 donation and set it up to be paid the same day every month, the actual charge to your account is $26.14  to cover the cost of the service. Not only does this fundraising outpace are couple tentpole events throughout the year, but it provides working capital and cash flow on a monthly basis instead of one big hit one time a year. The sell  is easy, make it real for people: just skip Starbucks three times a month and you’re already in the $20-$25 a month range. Pack your lunch one day a month for work and there’s a $10 a month donation, stuff like that.

On 10/17/2023 at 9:42 PM, bluehorseshoe said:

Put @Buzzettain charge of it. He will chase all the money you need; anything he can do to make it so his daily nightmare of actually having to be in a world with people that either don’t have homes or have nothing in particular to do and like to hang out all day are removed from his eyesight and city for that matter.

I just mention what I see at the hours I am traveling.  

I am sorry your sad, pathetic self is so unnerved by it.  

Here's a link to my most recent Christmas thread:

Though I label the books as give away prizes, this does work as a sort of de facto auction since the x number of books go to those who made the top x amount of pledges, and pledges can be increased until closure.

Curious @VintageComics - which section do you plan on posting your thread in?  In the hopes of maximizing the eyes on mine this coming year, I think I'm going to move it out of G/S/B.  I just don't know where the new destination will be and have been shopping for input.

On 10/17/2023 at 10:21 PM, mattn792 said:

Though I label the books as give away prizes, this does work as a sort of de facto auction since the x number of books go to those who made the top x amount of pledges, and pledges can be increased until closure.

Your thread always seemed like an "auction".  You are "selling" the books, but chose to give the funds to a charity, so there never seemed to be an issue. But before you move it out of the sales area, you might want to contact CGC Mike (after the grading contest) when he's less busy see what he says.

I'm not sure how CGC is going to view a lot of "charity" threads elsewhere that don't benefit board members. I'd ask. 

A number of years ago, I held a thread for someone who had an issue and all of a sudden I got some requests to help "neighbors, relatives" etc.  It's why I try and stick to boarders unless, like you, I put up the donations myself.

I don't turn away people who want to add, but I at least start it like that.

I belong to a group that raises money for Cancer research. I've never even considered listing something for them here. We do plenty of in person fundraising...and I know a lot of people have a charity they like, I can't imagine CG being full of charity threads for non cgc related events and cgc not saying "whoa" ...no more "charity threads".

On 10/17/2023 at 9:23 AM, skypinkblu said:

I really only work with boarders or families of boarders when someone was deceased and it has to be someone I knew or people who I knew well recommended. There were a few incidents years ago where people were trying to take advantage of the kindness of the board members here, so I'm super super careful now about getting involved. Money either went directly to the person's PP account, or to a verified GoFundme (we started these before GoFundme existed). The only auction type thread that was set up that I can remember, was the first one, when Nik passed away and I had a ton of help with that one otherwise it would have been impossible.

A few times when there was something earth shattering, I just donated items myself and if someone else wanted to post items they did, I think the last time was when Ukraine was invaded. The money went directly to the World Soup Kitchen, a top rated charity. Time before that might have been the Hurricane in Louisiana.

One thing I'd always recommend is keeping a spread sheet. I use Google docs and share it with the person who is getting the funds and any helpers I have. I keep it, so if there are any questions or problems, I always have it available.

I think I've only done one, the last one for DJPinkpanther, alone. I've always wanted other eyes on what was going on and that one was shared with Thomas's wife.

On 10/17/2023 at 10:21 PM, mattn792 said:

Here's a link to my most recent Christmas thread:

Curious @VintageComics - which section do you plan on posting your thread in?  In the hopes of maximizing the eyes on mine this coming year, I think I'm going to move it out of G/S/B.  I just don't know where the new destination will be and have been shopping for input.

Thanks, this is great advice and exactly what I was looking for. 

On 10/18/2023 at 11:21 AM, skypinkblu said:

Your thread always seemed like an "auction".  You are "selling" the books, but chose to give the funds to a charity, so there never seemed to be an issue. But before you move it out of the sales area, you might want to contact CGC Mike (after the grading contest) when he's less busy see what he says.

I'm not sure how CGC is going to view a lot of "charity" threads elsewhere that don't benefit board members. I'd ask. 

A number of years ago, I held a thread for someone who had an issue and all of a sudden I got some requests to help "neighbors, relatives" etc.  It's why I try and stick to boarders unless, like you, I put up the donations myself.

I don't turn away people who want to add, but I at least start it like that.

I belong to a group that raises money for Cancer research. I've never even considered listing something for them here. We do plenty of in person fundraising...and I know a lot of people have a charity they like, I can't imagine CG being full of charity threads for non cgc related events and cgc not saying "whoa" ...no more "charity threads".

I personally don't see the problem with someone hosting a benefit thread. It's a sales forum and we don't police what people do with their sales proceeds (yet, anyway) as long as the money goes where it's supposed to. People start threads based on general interests.  

It's no different than a sales thread and the person running the thread would (or in my opinion should) be responsible to make sure all transactions are successfully completed. In fact, I would expect that. Your thread, your responsibility. 

In fact, I like Matt's idea of running the thread himself. It's clean, efficient and makes life easier. 

I have no problem if someone wants to be a 2nd set of eyes or offers to help. Totally open to a transparent collaboration if someone wants to get involved. If not, I'll make sure to post all the details of the donation when the sale is over. 

Edited by VintageComics