• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on NYCC Ghost Machine Variants
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Hello, 

Had a question and wondering if anyone knows the answer. 

I saw that Ghost Machine released variant copies of some of their comics at NYCC recenlty. 

I am unclear as to what is in these issues. 

1.) Redcoat #1 NYCC Variant: Is this a reprint of the Redcoat material from the Geiger 80 page special, or an advance copy of the ongoing series that comes out next Spring?

2.) Geiger #1 NYCC Variant: Is this a reprint of Geiger #1 from the previously released miniseries, OR an advance copy of Geiger Ground Zero #1 that comes out next month (Which I doubt since it doesnt say ground zero) OR an advance copy of the ongoing Geiger series from next Spring?

3.) Junkyard Joe #1 NYCC Variant: Is this a reprint of Junkyard Joe #1 from the previously released miniseries, or maybe a reprint of his first appearance from the Geiger series?

Anyways, would love to know if anyone has cracked one open to actually see what is inside. 

Ghost Machine, First-of-its-Kind Creator-Owned and Cooperative Media  Company Launches at New York Comic… | Image Comics

Johns, Hitch, Frank, Fabok, Tomasi, Meltzer & Manapul's Ghost Machine

Ghost Machine launches at New York Comic Con — Major Spoilers — Comic Book  Reviews, News, Previews, and Podcasts

Re-visiting this question. But in a slightly different angle.

I own the below metal versions in CGCs and do not have a way to know what is inside each issue besides what CGC put on the slab label. I will start out with what I know first.

These are NYCC exclusives. The metal covers where put onto the 3 comics shown by BCoffee.

1. Junkyard Joe #1 metal cover was put onto the Junkyard Joe Foil version which contains Junkyard Joe #1 & #2 in one book.

2. Geiger #1 metal cover was put onto the version shown by BCoffee, but I do not know what is inside

3. Redcoat #1 metal cover was put onto the version shown by BCoffee, but again, I do not know what is inside. I was told, the comic inside the Redcoat #1 metal cover is the Redcoat story from the 80-page Giant. I have no idea.

Can anyone help to answer items 2 & 3 above? Pictures of the insides would be great. Thank you

Front Covers.jpg

Back Covers.jpg

On 10/17/2023 at 4:41 PM, BCoffee said:

Hello, 

Had a question and wondering if anyone knows the answer. 

I saw that Ghost Machine released variant copies of some of their comics at NYCC recenlty. 

I am unclear as to what is in these issues. 

1.) Redcoat #1 NYCC Variant: Is this a reprint of the Redcoat material from the Geiger 80 page special, or an advance copy of the ongoing series that comes out next Spring?

2.) Geiger #1 NYCC Variant: Is this a reprint of Geiger #1 from the previously released miniseries, OR an advance copy of Geiger Ground Zero #1 that comes out next month (Which I doubt since it doesnt say ground zero) OR an advance copy of the ongoing Geiger series from next Spring?

3.) Junkyard Joe #1 NYCC Variant: Is this a reprint of Junkyard Joe #1 from the previously released miniseries, or maybe a reprint of his first appearance from the Geiger series?

Anyways, would love to know if anyone has cracked one open to actually see what is inside. 

I haven't read any of the Ghost Machine books yet, but here's what I can tell you:

Redcoat has 24 interior pages, the first 17 of which are one story (16 if you take out the "1776" page). I'm guessing it's from 80-page special, because it says "to be continued in Redcoat 1" at the end, and there's a 2-page spread which I'm assuming is from the first issue. See 2 pics from the beginning of the book below.

Geiger is a 40-page book. See pic of first pages below.

Junkyard Joe is a 48-page book. I'm assuming the first two issues? See 3 pics below from the beginning, and then 2 in the middle.

image.thumb.jpeg.173178617e3c17814d1403cfdad44037.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ef5979f0831c42ccf35632cb41849dd7.jpeg

IMG_6985.thumb.jpg.abee154ae3d460a512f76bc13646b5c2.jpgIMG_6986.thumb.jpg.8cb712d7dab310eeb075fa1036ab5a8e.jpgIMG_6987.thumb.jpg.793946cd669136c83dfd82488326f31d.jpgIMG_6988.thumb.jpg.677e640ccf7bc61f0e7849989b801e5d.jpg

Thank you GeeksAreMyPeeps. The pictures are great, and really help alot!  I literally just purchased the 3 foil exclusive comics as a raw set so that I can know what is inside the metal editions I own.

Posted (edited)

To add to what GeeksAreMyPeeps said. I now know exactly what is in the inside of each of these books because I own the raw copies of each.

These 3 books, (not the metal books) were sold at the NYCC 2023 Ghost Machine booth as exclusives.  The metal covers were put onto these 3 books and then given out at a paid for event hosted by Ghost Machine after hours of the NYCC 2023, at an offsite location, a meet and greet dinner.

1. Junkyard Joe #1 (called the NYCC Exclusive Silver Foil Edition sold for $20 at the NYCC 2023 Ghost Machine booth) (inside cover says Junkyard Joe Bulletproof Edition #1). Contains Junkyard Joe #1 & #2 in one book.

02a.thumb.JPG.79c195e7806c6c7deb40d8c05da58d51.JPG

2. Geiger #1 (called the NYCC Exclusive Glow-in-the-Dark edition also sold for $20 at the NYCC 2023 Ghost Machine booth) (inside cover says Geiger #1 Glow-in-the-Dark Edition).

Contains Geiger #1, Volume 1 (2021) (reprint) and includes 8 pages from the 80-page Giant (re-print) telling the story of "Where'd he get barney?" right before the Geiger Las Vegas stories begin.

Kinda bummed that CGC only put "Geiger #1" "virgin cover" "Metal Edition" on the CGCs label I own. This lack of detail only adds to the confusion since we (comic collectors) look to a 3rd party grader to be a confident source of record keeping when grading and sealing a book into the slab.

GeigerProperNaming.thumb.JPG.5e8f6975dc2ce9a2a313ac9b50c102ba.JPG

CGC should have put exactly what the published page says, "Geiger #1 Glow-in-the-dark Edition" and then added something like "Metal Virgin Cover". Now that I know this is NOT just a Geiger #1, should I send this back in to be re-holdered and ask for a new description? OR just live with their laziness and lack of detail.

02b.thumb.JPG.a7dc837b51053e50d2a642e6745f04a7.JPG

3. Redcoat #1 (called the NYCC 2023 Exclusive Red Foil edition also sold for $20 at the NYCC 2023 Ghost Machine booth) (inside cover says Redcoat Convention Exclusive #1).

Contains the Redcoat story from the Geiger 80-page Giant (re-print) and 2 page spread as a teaser from Ghost Machine #1 2024.

02a.thumb.JPG.3fae31521ddde54e1d382111724d3b66.JPG

This should clear up a lot of the confusion and unknown.

In my case, owning the metal versions of these, and in my opinion, CGC should have put onto the labels exactly what was on the publisher page and also added "metal virgin cover", or something to that detail.

I assumed CGC puts the wording from the publisher page onto the label, and this is not the case.  What a bummer.

Edited by Kortoga