• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wondering how much this will prob sell for? Captain Marvel Adventures1941

29 posts in this topic

$2652.59...

If I'm right do I get the book for free? yeahok.gif

Sure!!! Thanks for resoponse!!!

No problem... But seriously, though this is a serious book from a very respected seller, I find it pretty unlikely that it will go for much more than GD Guide. If it was slabbed (meaning checked for resto, "professionally" or not), it might be a different story. I have to imagie that a lot of people in the market for $2K+ books have to wonder why it's not slabbed when they see an item like this. That said, I might get proven seriously wrong. Though I do watch a lot of auctions on this level of $$$, I'm not a buyer of these sorts of books (yet). Also one needs to keep in mind that the highest Universal in the Census is a 3.5 ( 893whatthe.gif), so this might motivate serious buyers a bit more than I am thinking.

Problem is this is one of the better ones, to hit the bay. So, wouldn't be surprised if it $3500. It's a key that I have only seen(and no, I am not counting DTA's rag!!!) about 4 or 5 in the last 6 months. Seemed like one or 2 of those were not legitimate. If I had the 3500, I would have set it as my max bid.

Problem is this is one of the better ones, to hit the bay. So, wouldn't be surprised if it $3500. It's a key that I have only seen(and no, I am not counting DTA's rag!!!) about 4 or 5 in the last 6 months. Seemed like one or 2 of those were not legitimate. If I had the 3500, I would have set it as my max bid.

Hmm.. I didn't realize this was such a tough book! (Although to be fair I know very little about Captain Marvel) It sounds like this seller didn't end up getting very much for the book all things considered. (Which is surprising considering the prices some of his other auctions have brought in)

P.S. Timulty, if you're interested in a CMA 1, send me a PM. I've got two of these, including the Crowley copy. If you want we could always set up a time payment schedule or something.

I'm the guy who picked it up, and I'm happy with it. It's hard to find a copy without either bad color touch (that blue is hard to match) or without the spine split all the way down (the paper is very weak). I didn't think my high bid would be enough to get the book, though. I suspect the lack of slabbing had something to do with it, but given the reputation of the seller, I was confident in his declaration that it's unrestored. I'll black-light it when it arrives, just to be more sure.

Also, it's another data-point that Fawcett's are cold as ice.

yeah Centaurman, I remember at Chicago Con you were looking at Bob Beerbohms copy of that book, I can't remember if it was restored or not, I was the guy with the curly mullet that you talked to for a bit and you showed me your 'Tec #1, remember ?

Congrats....insert envious tone here. I thought you were just into Centaurs?! That copy looked pretty nice. Was expecting a higher price too. It always seems the CMA's don't get the looks like the Whiz Comics though...

Edit: You have a Tec #1!!!!!! Whoa, you definitely have some discretionary income!!! hail.gif

'sup Dude? I definitely remember talking to you; fun day. Yes, his copy was restored. They're all either restored or ripped. I traded an unrestored Good-minus copy a few years back (plus an Avengers 1) for a 1939 NY World's Fair, and I've been looking to replace it ever since. I thought it would be simple, but actually it's been quite a challenge. Check Heritage and Metro, for instance.

It looks even scarcer than it is because of the census, though. It's not slabbed much because no one has a high grade copy, and no one wants to slab a 2.5. There are a decent number of beaters floating around (although, again, most have some resto).

well I'm glad you got one back into your collection, which just from what I've seen is really impressive. I wasn't aware of the scarcity of this issue and even more so in high grade, great book to add to your collection.

Why are Fawcett's as cold as ice? The first 5 or ten issues of their titles are as good as any I've read. Any thoughts?

because the characters haven't survived in any meaningful way into the 21st century, and at the time the Fawcetts had the largest circulations of any book. So basically- lots of copies, fewer collectors.

Congrats....insert envious tone here. I thought you were just into Centaurs?! That copy looked pretty nice. Was expecting a higher price too. It always seems the CMA's don't get the looks like the Whiz Comics though...

Edit: You have a Tec #1!!!!!! Whoa, you definitely have some discretionary income!!! hail.gif

The Tec 1 didn't even cost a ton because it was extensively restored. It looks much better now that I've cracked it out. My income now is better than it used to be, but I still am pretty price sensitive. What I paid for my 'Tec #1 wouldn't even get me a Fantastic Four #1 in 8.0.

I like the early Fawcett's. I've got almost the whole run of Whiz 1-20 unrestored (although my copy of #1 has had its cover cleaned, darn it), and I love the covers of the first five CMA's. #5 in particular is outstanding.

Yeah, #5 is a seriously good cover. I am a big fan of 17 and 18. Have you got a decent copy of 3? Seems like that one is usually in bad shape.

On the WC's I like #5, #9, and #19 those covers have a very nice adventure element to them. You probably like the war covers, eh?

"and at the time the Fawcetts had the largest circulations of any book. So basically- lots of copies, fewer collectors."

yeah, but did #1s have such huge circulations?

anyway, based on very little data, i've done ok with some fawcetts recently, selling some mid-grade slabs of non-key issues (I guess semi-key) for guide. nothing extraordinary or anything. one was a copy printed during WW II, another afterward.

As for more copies and fewer collectors... sure, and that's partially reflected in guide prices on these, which are often 1/4 - 1/3 as much as Supermans/Batmans from the same years.

#1 likely didn't have a HUGE circulation, but I'd bet it was in the hundreds of thousands. Anyone know for sure?

It seems like slabbed fawcetts go for guide, non slabbed for 2/3 -1/2 guide. Timulty, you collect this stuff, what do you see?

I do still have a few issues I'm planning on selling (hint, hint)