• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Rex The Wonder Dog #38
3 3

9 posts in this topic

A fun book, for sure.  Gil Kane did a nice job with this title.  Publication of Ernst Gerber's Photo-Journals in 1989 was a truly seminal event in our hobby -- comparable in significance to Overstreet's first Price Guide and CGC's founding.  Visual stimuli are very effective (remember Dr. Lecter's admonition to Clarice Starling, "We begin by coveting what we see.").  However, Gerber's scarcity research was more anecdotal than scientific and done in the "pre-internet" era.  As a result, his scarcity ratings often underestimate the number of surviving copies (especially for the less-collectible titles of that era).

This is definitely a well above average copy (I believe Rex issues were only found in a small handful of the very largest CGC-recognized pedigree collections).  (thumbsu  But I agree with what's already been said: the spine ticks and corner chip (TLC BC) almost certainly will cap CGC's grade at the 6.5/7.0 level (w/ cr-ow pages).  :foryou:

I have only ever come across 2 issues of Rex in the wild here in the UK, in fifty years.

#24 & #38

Certainly a tough title to collect and all seem pretty scarce to me :( 

Yours is definitely nicer than mine.

6.5 at least :) 

Edited by Kevin.J

On 10/24/2023 at 9:16 AM, Kevin.J said:

I have only ever come across 2 issues of Rex in the wild here in the UK, in fifty years.

#24 & #48

Certainly a tough title to collect and all seem pretty scarce to me :( 

Yours is definitely nicer than mine.

6.5 at least :) 

Oh man so check this out - I bought these from a seller in the UK, and asked if they combined shipping.  They said yes and here’s what arrived in the mail.  How could I be happier than with a uk seller who sends cash and sends dollars?

D543BBE2-94E9-4DCA-B70E-909C56ECA7FD.jpeg

On 10/24/2023 at 11:16 PM, Corvonie said:

Oh man so check this out - I bought these from a seller in the UK, and asked if they combined shipping.  They said yes and here’s what arrived in the mail.  How could I be happier than with a uk seller who sends cash and sends dollars?

D543BBE2-94E9-4DCA-B70E-909C56ECA7FD.jpeg

Sweet.

Back in the days before ebay and paypal, I used to buy from the US all the time.

I used to go to the travel agent and change my pounds into dollars and send the dollars in a greeting card to disguise it, did this for years and always arrived safely.

I still have a random drawer with about 100 dollars in as sometimes you would get the books with a discount and they would send dollars back , they are not legal tender here so just accumulated in the drawer and I never got around to changing them over.