• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question regarding recent CGC slab purchase

6 posts in this topic

Hello. I had a quick question about a recent slab purchase on eBay that I was wondering you guys could give me an opinion on.

I purchased an expensive slab with original art by an artist I love, about $500. When it arrived, I noticed some damage that was not specifically listed about the item itself, such as some minor scuffs and cracks on the slab. Their description mentions there COULD be some minor defects like that “on CGCs part” in their description, but it’s not specific to the item I bought and just one they put under all their listings. I’m pretty bummed with the condition of the slab since neither the picture nor listing mentions specific defects like it. Their picture was just a picture of the front of the slab, not showing any of the damage on the slab itself not was it listed in their description.

Also, the holder is one of the thicker ones they use. Is it normal for the book to shift around in it? I never had one of these thicker ones but something tells me that can’t be right. They said this was normal too but I have my doubts and it seems like they don’t wish to take responsibility for it. I should note that it’s not that I want to return it, but that I may have to get it reholdered with the issues, and was maybe thinking to ask for a partial if it would be appropriate? I’m asking opinions on what the best way to approach this issue with the book and the seller may be.

Here is the video of the shifting to show what I mean. https://imgur.com/a/MgDSB2p

IMG_8594.jpeg

IMG_8600.jpeg

IMG_8599.jpeg

IMG_8620.jpeg

You could ask for a partial, but the seller did kinda cover themselves with that spiel in the listing description. They might point to that or offer a return (if they provide those).

I have plenty of slabs with comparable or worse damage than what you have pictures and they don't cost me sleep at night, but lots of people prefer/require spotless slabs and would probably choose to reholder if attempts at a partial failed.

Personally I'd take the small L because we're talking about damage to the holder and not the book. And you clearly want to keep the item. If a seller didn't describe defects on a raw or on a book inside the slab (eg the book obviously doesn't match the grade, damaged in transit) I'd return/escalate no question.

I have gone through the hoops on purchases like yours and found that you have to request more photos if you feel the item is not adequately depicted. Fine cracks and scuffs (externally and internally) are rarely visible on a photo. Neither are Newtons Rings to a large extent. I have fallen foul of the latter quite a few times.

Sellers don't normally give refunds or returns on such things but, its always worth asking. Case damage in transit is an area where sellers have helped me in the past. eg. Return/refund or even paying for CGC reholdering.

There was a time (pre Blackstone take over) when CGC would reholder free of charge for such things as broken shards in the case, or excessive Newtons Rings but sadly not anymore. Submission had to be within 30 days of receiving an item from CGC or purchasing one from a seller.

If the seller won't help I would suggest you just bite the bullet and get it reholdered at CGC. Problem solved.

CGC holders and their performance is a whole subject on its own. 

On 10/25/2023 at 2:28 PM, Colin Nash said:

I have gone through the hoops on purchases like yours and found that you have to request more photos if you feel the item is not adequately depicted. Fine cracks and scuffs (externally and internally) are rarely visible on a photo. Neither are Newtons Rings to a large extent. I have fallen foul of the latter quite a few times.

Sellers don't normally give refunds or returns on such things but, its always worth asking. Case damage in transit is an area where sellers have helped me in the past. eg. Return/refund or even paying for CGC reholdering.

There was a time (pre Blackstone take over) when CGC would reholder free of charge for such things as broken shards in the case, or excessive Newtons Rings but sadly not anymore. Submission had to be within 30 days of receiving an item from CGC or purchasing one from a seller.

If the seller won't help I would suggest you just bite the bullet and get it reholdered at CGC. Problem solved.

CGC holders and their performance is a whole subject on its own. 

Thank you for your response. I understand I should have asked for more images prior. I’ve been discussing with the seller and may think to get it reholdered. With the condition and shifting, do you believe I should even if I do not intend to sell it at the moment?

On 10/22/2023 at 12:35 AM, smarkjobber said:

You could ask for a partial, but the seller did kinda cover themselves with that spiel in the listing description. They might point to that or offer a return (if they provide those).

I have plenty of slabs with comparable or worse damage than what you have pictures and they don't cost me sleep at night, but lots of people prefer/require spotless slabs and would probably choose to reholder if attempts at a partial failed.

Personally I'd take the small L because we're talking about damage to the holder and not the book. And you clearly want to keep the item. If a seller didn't describe defects on a raw or on a book inside the slab (eg the book obviously doesn't match the grade, damaged in transit) I'd return/escalate no question.

I will have to see. Would you say it would be better to get a reholder on it, or is it in a condition where the wear is not too serious and more cosmetic? My main fear is the shifting that it may not be normal and if it might damage the book

On 10/26/2023 at 7:40 AM, SinisterCryptid said:

Thank you for your response. I understand I should have asked for more images prior. I’ve been discussing with the seller and may think to get it reholdered. With the condition and shifting, do you believe I should even if I do not intend to sell it at the moment?

Your decision in the end. I'm a bit fussy about this kind of thing and I would get it reholdered. In fact. I obtained an early silver age comic in grade 9.0 from Comicconnect a few months ago with horrendous Newtons Rings and contact patches (not visible in the sales photos !!). It's going in for reholdering very soon and will come back looking totally transformed.