• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gold Key and Whitman Original Art

31 posts in this topic

On 10/23/2023 at 2:06 PM, westform said:

I enjoyed Archie and Harvey in the 70’s but Gold Key really hit home with me as I was a Saturday morning tv junkie.I guess many of us were. Not to mention at that time they also published Scrooge and Donald Duck. Even Little Lulu digests! Anyway, please proudly show off your art- here’s an obscure title, the Hair Bear bunch. Never have seen any art from that short lived series. This cover just screams 1973.

IMG_2037.thumb.jpeg.5dfe422b421314d62d5b31403b26a57c.jpeg

Perfect 1970s Gold Key cover.  I have file copies of this obscure title because I collect weird stuff.  I'm a huge fan of Gold Key material (art and comics) and I will try to post some of my original art soon. 

Thanks for starting this thread!

On 10/24/2023 at 3:35 PM, The Voord said:

Back in the 1960s, in my home town of Liverpool, England . . . I used to scour all the local newsagents for the latest American comic-books. Although I had a preference for the Marvel titles, I was quite open to try anything that looked interesting (regardless of publisher).

One weekend, during a systematic search of the neighborhood, I came across the # 24 issue of a title I'd not seen before . . . SPACE FAMILY ROBINSON, LOST IN SPACE. The dramatic (painted) cover depicted a daring rescue bid to save a sacrificial victim from an imminent fiery death, atop of the hands of a gigantic statue in the ancient mythical land of Atlantis. On the strength of the cover painting alone (see below), I bought the comic-book and was duly hooked on the adventures of the Robinsons (which have no bearing on the TV series of the same name).

3.jpg.14426aa02702ace80eaedfc889e3b190.jpg

The interior art, by Dan Spiegle, was deceptively simple. His story-telling, in comparison to the superhero stuff of the time, didn't go in for the heightened sense of drama most of us had become accustomed to. Spiegle's story art was a gentle, refreshing change of pace . . . allowing the strength of the writing not to be overshadowed by flashy macho-posturing characters.

A month or two after buying LOST IN SPACE # 24, I bought the follow-up issue of this two-part adventure. The cover image to SPACE FAMILY ROBINSON, LOST IN SPACE # 25 was, to the 10 year old boy I was at the time, even more spectacular!. For over five decades I'd been enamored of George Wilson's stunning # 25 cover painting - and it had remained high on my 'Wants' list of nostalgic favorites.

2.jpg.4374ddacb8c34d64537003b6c6956880.jpg

Some years back, when I decided to scale-down my collection to a core group of cherished favorites, I'd abandoned all hope of ever finding my LOST IN SPACE cover grail. Out of the blue, I received an e-mail from the (then) owner - expressing an interest in releasing the cover to me in trade.

Through several weeks of looking at trade options (for artwork outside of my own collection that I could possibly buy as trade-bait), the alternative idea of a straight cash sale was agreed upon - and many, many years later, the original artwork for a much-loved and long-admired painting found its way to me.

1.thumb.jpg.05e78d462cf49f4b5208cb23b12da838.jpg

Amazing piece!  The painted Gold Key covers for titles like Space Family Robinson, Magnus Robot Fighter, and Turok were over the top in quality.  On a personal note, I would love to add one of the painted Turok covers to my collection.  Anyone?  Anyone?

On 10/24/2023 at 2:38 PM, mlansdown said:

Amazing piece!  The painted Gold Key covers for titles like Space Family Robinson, Magnus Robot Fighter, and Turok were over the top in quality.  On a personal note, I would love to add one of the painted Turok covers to my collection.  Anyone?  Anyone?

I used to own a Turok wilson cover, but it left long ago. PLEASE keep posting pics. Threads are worthless without them…well maybe not worthless but not nearly as interesting. I love those Scooby covers! I’ve been looking for one of those over the years but never found one. I just bought a couple more Gold Key covers so I will post soon.

A Whitman Pre-Pack distributed only Beep, Beep The  Road-Runner #92.  A case of the comic perhaps being more "valuable" than the cover art? 

Not yet in my CAF gallery, I've only had it 20 years... Like many collectors in the 2003-2006 time-frame I purchased a bunch of Gold Key/Whitman cover lots at Heritage

RoadRunner92.thumb.jpg.ac3bcac87ab4470ef68798821262c074.jpg

Edited by All-Star Squadman

I guess this counts. It's a DPS from a (Whitman?) coloring book featuring Superman in his Supercar.

Does anyone happen to know the coloring book? Double click on the image to learn the bit that I know about it and why I bought it.

image.thumb.jpeg.76190e9b3b06ba32223c6fcadceb6775.jpeg

Edited by alxjhnsn

Some years back, I was fortunate enough to be able to purchase five interior story pages from SPACE FAMILY ROBINSON # 1 (1962), via Dan Spiegle's art agent, Dave Karlen.  For some reason, Dan had retained all of the interior art to # 1, with the bulk of that 1st issue art owned by an American friend who bought his pages directly from Dan.  The book was later re-titled, SPACE FAMILY ROBINSON, LOST IN SPACE.

Very little of Dan's interior pages from the series is known to exist . . . apart from the first issue, I've seen a smattering of pages from late in the title's run.

Issue one contained two SFR stories . . . 'The Challenge of Gorko' (22 pages) and 'Rescue on Asteroid 48' (10 pages).

Here are the pages I own (pages 3, 21, 27, 28 and 30), positioned in order of book appearance:

3.jpg

21.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

30.jpg

Edited by The Voord

On 10/24/2023 at 7:13 PM, westform said:

I used to own a Turok wilson cover, but it left long ago. PLEASE keep posting pics. Threads are worthless without them…well maybe not worthless but not nearly as interesting. I love those Scooby covers! I’ve been looking for one of those over the years but never found one. I just bought a couple more Gold Key covers so I will post soon.

Which Turok cover did you own?  Any photos of it?  I maintain a list of all Turok cover paintings known to exist meaning that I'm always eager to add new ones.  :)