• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bodies

12 posts in this topic

Why is no-one talking about this!

Brilliant series adapted from Si Spencer (RIP) Comic

Binge it

You won't be disappointed

8 episodes 

1  season

10/10

I have watched 2 episodes.   I am intrigued. 

I will definitely finish it, but I am already worried that the resolution will be unsatisfying.  At least for me, because I am a huge nitpicker.    (Don't get me wrong, I still can enjoy the things I nitpick at, it's more like a game)

But maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.  

On 10/24/2023 at 11:19 AM, Monster's Lair Comics said:

I didn't read the comics.  I thought it was good.  A bit confusing at times, but still very good. 

Watched 5 episodes of 8 so far. Cross btwn The Dark and X-files tv series. DC Vertigo comic was a 2014 ltd. series of only 8 issues so I don't know if they have enough plot for a season 2. Each comic had 4 different artists for the 4 timelines which makes sense. Rating 8/10 so far.

On 10/23/2023 at 4:27 PM, Beige said:

Brilliant series adapted from Si Spencer (RIP) Comic

8 episodes 

1  season

10/10

OK, finished all 8 episodes, thus 9/10. Reminds me of the superb '1899' that I rate 10/10: cross btwn Titanic, Bermuda Triangle with time shifts like the excellent Westworld tv series that I rate the later seasons 9/10.

Have not been able to get all 8 issues of the 'Bodies' DC Vertigo mini-series. TV series may be able to go lunar (from what I have read of the comic series), if there is enough budget and solid ratings for a 'Bodies' season 2.

On 10/29/2023 at 1:03 PM, aardvark88 said:

OK, finished all 8 episodes, thus 9/10. Reminds me of the superb '1899' that I rate 10/10: cross btwn Titanic, Bermuda Triangle with time shifts like the excellent Westworld tv series that I rate the later seasons 9/10.

Have not been able to get all 8 issues of the 'Bodies' DC Vertigo mini-series. TV series may be able to go lunar (from what I have read of the comic series), if there is enough budget and solid ratings for a 'Bodies' season 2.

Pretty sure the producer said only was Season was being made.

The writers is dead now, of course, so that may effect any changes to his story if they do want a second season (I don't think that was what the ending implied btw -

Spoiler

Detective Maplewood simply split into 3, as did everyone else going through 'the mouth' - one arrived in each timeline - this was just the 2023 Maplewood saying hello)

Finished it, and was pleasantly surprised at how they resolved everything.  I liked it a lot.

Spoiler

So many of these "time travel" stories can't help themselves but to have the big twist at the end be that - ironically - it was the efforts of people from the future to change the past that caused whatever it was they were trying to stop happening to happen to begin with.  It's typically a very unsatisfying paradox conclusion for me, The Terminator notwithstanding.  This, of course, also had that kind of a paradox built into it, but the conclusion where literally the entire timeline was rewritten and no one remembers anything that occurred - because it never happened - was much more realistic and satisfying.  I get that some people won't like that our heroes don't remember what they did and would prefer it to be like Marty McFly in Back to the Future, but that was always just nonsense.

I did wonder what they were doing in Episode 7 spending so much time showing us Mannix's plan being set in motion in the past when we just saw it culminate in Episode 6, but then, showing how the subsequent subtle changes to the timeline in the past sort of rippled forwards made it all come together.  

The writers is dead now, of course, so that may effect any changes to his story if they do want a second season (I don't think that was what the ending implied btw 

Spoiler

Detective Maplewood simply split into 3, as did everyone else going through 'the mouth' - one arrived in each timeline - this was just the 2023 Maplewood saying hello)

Spoiler

I kind of disagree here.  I think that Maplewood would have been re-set along with everyone else and there was no "2023" Maplewood anymore - at least from that timeline.  This ending was clearly implying a different future, where "something" happens, and that results in this Maplewood coming back in time to this moment.  What could that something be?  That's kind of the teaser, but I was thinking about it.  

The fundamental problem of the initial set up for this story, of course, is that it's impossible.  Mannix exists in a loop where he is his own ancestor.  But how could that ever even start?  It can't, and they sort of acknowledge that in the show.  But what if there was some way to start a loop like that?  That could be an idea for a sequel/continuation.  In this timeline, there is no Mannix, now.  But if there's something that can start a paradoxical loop such as this, then this timeline could have simply gone back to the original timeline that resulted in Mannix getting created - somehow - and starting his loop again.  So there could, in effect, be two loops going on.  And maybe Maplewood from the future is here trying to stop the new loop.  

It's kind of a rabbit hole of time-travel paradox that can't ever really be resolved, but fun to think about.

Just surprised DC did not reprint this Vertigo 8 issue 'Bodies' mini-series into a recent trade paperback so admirers of the TV series could read the source material. Excellent TV series that diverts from the 3 issues of the mini I was able to find locally.